Three homers back Gallardo as Brewers top MetsSep 28, 2013 - 4:32 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Three home runs and six solid innings from Yovani Gallardo were enough to help the Milwaukee Brewers to a 4-2 victory over the New York Mets Friday at Citi Field.
Milwaukee has thrived in Flushing as of late, winning nine of its last 10 visits. Norichika Aoki and Martin Maldonado had solo homers and Khris Davis hit a two-run shot before leaving in the eighth with a leg injury.
Gallardo (12-10) has been on a roll ever since returning from the disabled list. On Friday, he struck out six and allowed both New York runs on seven hits. He has four wins and a 2.10 ERA over his last eight starts.
"Being on the DL for those two weeks just kind of lets you reset, kind of have a fresh start," Gallardo said. "And ever since then I've been feeling good."
Justin Turner and Juan Lagares each drove in a run for the Mets, who have dropped the first two of this four-game set. Carlos Torres (4-6) struck out seven and was charged with three runs on four hits over six frames.
"This is a tough park to hit in," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "We've looked at a lot of stats, a lot of numbers, and our numbers are not good here. But neither are our opponents'. You've got to be able to hit the baseball. You've got to be a pretty good offensive player to play in this park and put up decent numbers. This is a tough place to hit."
Turner scored on a sac fly from Lagares in the second and the Mets trailed, 3-2, with the bases loaded and two out in the sixth after bringing a run in earlier in the frame on an infield single from Turner. Travis d'Arnaud had a chance to put the Mets in front, but didn't get to finish his at-bat.
Daniel Murphy made a base-running mistake when he tried to score from third on a pitch from Gallardo that bounced in front of Maldonado. Murphy attempted to hurdle the catcher, but Maldonado tagged his leg to end the inning.
Maldonado then restored a two-run edge in Milwaukee's ensuing turn at the plate, with his towering one-out blast into left creating a 4-2 spread. Rob Wooten and Brandon Kintzler tossed scoreless seventh and eighth frames, respectively, before Jim Henderson notched his 28th save with a 1-2-3 ninth.
Torres' worst inning was the initial one. His fourth pitch was sent over right field wall by Aoki, then served up a two-run blast later in the first when Davis crushed a hanging breaking ball to give the Brewers a 3-0 lead.
The Brewers have won five of their last six games ... Davis was injured when he tried beating out an infield hit. He came up lame and officially left with tight groin and quad injuries ... It was Maldonado's first homer since June 14 ... The Mets were 1-for-3 with runners in scoring position.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
NEW YORK: 2
Sep 27 9:52 PM
- Martin Maldonado one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Yovani Gallardo due up.
Brewers 4, Mets 2 Top 7, 1 OutSep 27 9:09 PM
- Justin Turner infield single to short to score Lucas Duda with one out. On the play, Daniel Murphy advances to third. Runners on first and third and Andrew Brown due up.
Brewers 3, Mets 2 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 27 8:57 PM
- Juan Lagares sacrifice fly out to center to score Justin Turner with one out. Runner on first and Travis d`Arnaud due up.
Brewers 3, Mets 1 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 27 7:40 PM
- Khris Davis one-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Scooter Gennett. Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 3, Mets 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 27 7:17 PM
- Norichika Aoki lead-off Home Run (8) to right. Scooter Gennett due up.
Brewers 1, Mets 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 27 7:12 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 27 7:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21