Stanton helps Marlins edge TigersSep 28, 2013 - 5:40 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Giancarlo Stanton's three-run double in the third inning helped the Miami Marlins take a 3-2 victory over the Detroit Tigers on Friday.
Tom Koehler (5-10) gave up two runs on five hits with three walks and three strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings to pick up the win for the Marlins, who have won four of six.
Austin Jackson and Jhonny Peralta each drove in a run for the Tigers, who had won their previous two. Jose Alvarez (1-5) worked just 2 2/3 innings and gave up three runs on two hits with a pair of walks and three strikeouts.
Detroit has already won the AL Central, but now has no chance of catching Boston for the top spot in the American League.
"We tried to win that game tonight," Detroit manager Jim Leyland remarked. "If you noticed, we were pinch-hitting a lot of people. We were making pitching changes. But I just wanted to get a few people off their feet. I think that's more important."
In the third, Koyie Hill singled to start the frame while Placido Polanco and Christian Yelich walked to load the bases. Stanton then punched a double to left that cleared the bases for a 3-2 lead.
"He was fortunate enough to come up with the bases loaded and hit that ball down the line," Miami manager Mike Redmond said of Stanton. "The hit was big to score the runs, but Yelich was running hard from the start."
The Tigers got one back in the fifth. Alex Avila walked and moved to second on Hernan Perez's single. Later in the frame, Jackson singled to center to make it a 3-1 game.
Detroit cut its deficit to one in the sixth as Miguel Cabrera singled to start the frame and later came home on a Peralta double to make it a 3-2 contest.
Steve Cishek gave up a leadoff single to start the ninth, but struck out Hernan Perez and got Jose Iglesias to hit into a double play to end the game for his 34th save of the season.
This is the first time these two teams have met since 2004, when the Tigers took two of three from the Marlins at home ... Detroit left six men on base while Miami stranded five.
- DETROIT: 2
Sep 27 10:05 PM
- Jhonny Peralta doubled to right center scoring Matt Tuiasosopo with one out. Runner on second with one out and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 2, Marlins 3 Top 6, 1 OutSep 27 8:56 PM
- Austin Jackson singled to center scoring Alex Avila with two outs. On the play, Jose Iglesias advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Andy Dirks due up.
Tigers 1, Marlins 3 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 27 8:34 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton doubled to left scoring Koyie Hill, Placido Polanco and Christian Yelich with two outs. Runner on second with two outs and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Tigers 0, Marlins 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 27 8:02 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 27 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22