Brewers top Mets in 10 inningsSep 29, 2013 - 5:33 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Carlos Gomez and Yuniesky Betancourt hit RBI singles in the 10th inning Saturday to lift the Milwaukee Brewers to a 4-2 win over the New York Mets.
Gomez also had a solo homer for the Brewers, who have won four in a row and 10 of their last 14 heading into the final day of the season. They can complete a four-game sweep on Sunday.
The Mets tied the game in the bottom of the ninth on Eric Young's RBI single but David Wright grounded into a double play with the bases loaded, sending it to extras.
That came after the Brewers had taken a 2-1 lead in the eighth on Betancourt's sacrifice fly.
Mets reliever Scott Atchison (3-3) gave up three singles and a walk in the 10th inning and only got one out.
Caleb Gindl led off with a walk before back-to-back singles by Jonathan Lucroy and Gomez gave the Brewers the lead. Scooter Gennett's bunt moved the runners up and Betancourt delivered a single to make it 4-2.
Alfredo Figaro threw a perfect 10th inning for his first major league save. Donovan Hand (1-5) was awarded the win after blowing a save in the ninth.
Milwaukee right-hander Jimmy Nelson gave up just one hit and one run in five innings in his first major league start. The right-hander walked three and struck out four.
"It wasn't pretty," Nelson said, "I tried to do my best to keep us in there and give us a chance to win, and we did that. We ended up scrapping it out in the end."
Mets righty Aaron Harang went winless in his last 10 starts after giving up a run, five hits and two walks in six innings. Harang, whose last win came July 22 with the Mariners, struck out seven.
Lucroy drew a one-out walk against Vic Black in the eighth inning, went to third on singles by Gomez and Scooter Gennett and scored on Betancourt's fly to left.
Jeff Bianchi hit a one-out single in the ninth off LaTroy Hawkins and stole second base, but was thrown out trying to steal third, leaving Milwaukee with a tenuous one-run lead.
The Mets took advantage against Hand, who walked Zach Lutz and Andrew Brown with one out in the ninth. Pinch-runner Matt den Dekker scored on Young's single inside the third base line, which hit the ball boy's water bottle and caromed to left fielder Logan Schafer to prevent another run from potentially scoring.
After Lucas Duda was hit by a pitch, Wright's bouncer up the middle was turned for a double play.
"We had a chance, we came back, could've won the game," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "We had the right guy up, had everything in place. We didn't get the luck of the draw."
Earlier, Gomez homered in the fourth inning -- his 24th of the season and first since the one he watched Wednesday to spark a benches-clearing incident against the Braves, for which Gomez was suspended one game.
Daniel Murphy's sac fly in the bottom of the fourth scored Duda to tie the game at 1-1 for New York.
The Mets are planning to announce a two-year contract extension with an option for a third season for manager Terry Collins on Monday, according to multiple reports ... Brewers shortstop Jean Segura returned after missing nine games with a strained hamstring and went 0-for-4 ... All three games in the series have been 4-2 Brewers wins ... Nelson, 24, was making his fourth appearance in the majors.
- MILWAUKEE: 4
NEW YORK: 2
Sep 28 8:08 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt single to right scored Jonathan Lucroy with one out. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Sean Halton due up.
Brewers 4, Mets 2 Top 10, 1 OutSep 28 7:53 PM
- Carlos Gomez single to center scored Caleb Gindl with none out. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to second. Runners on first and second and Scooter Gennett due up.
Brewers 3, Mets 2 Top 10, 0 OutsSep 28 7:51 PM
- Eric Young single to left scored Matt den Dekker with one out. On the play, Andrew Brown advances to third and Eric Young advances to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Lucas Duda due up.
Brewers 2, Mets 2 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 28 7:34 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt sacrifice fly to left scored Jonathan Lucroy with two out. Runners on first and second and Sean Halton due up.
Brewers 2, Mets 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 28 6:58 PM
- Daniel Murphy sacrifice fly to left scored Lucas Duda with two out. None on and Mike Baxter due up.
Brewers 1, Mets 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 28 5:22 PM
- Carlos Gomez one-out, solo Home Run (24) to left. Scooter Gennett due up.
Brewers 1, Mets 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 28 5:08 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 28 4:10 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21