Athletics complete sweep of AstrosApr 8, 2013 - 3:06 AM
Jed Lowrie hit a two-run home run while Coco Crisp added a solo shot for the Athletics, who have won five straight since dropping their first two games of the season.
"He's very consistent from both sides of the plate, isn't trying to do too much, seeing the ball very well," A's manager Bob Melvin said.
Brett Anderson (1-1) gave up two unearned runs on five hits with a pair of walks and 10 strikeouts over six innings for the win.
It wasn't all good news for Oakland, though, as right fielder Josh Reddick left the game in the fifth inning with an apparent right arm injury after crashing into the wall while trying to run down a foul ball.
Carlos Corporan drove in a run while Lucas Harrell (0-2) got the loss for giving up eight runs on seven hits with five walks in 4 1/3 innings for the Astros, who have dropped five straight after winning their season opener.
"When you don't throw the ball where you want to, it's going to be a long day," said Harrell. "I didn't locate it. It wasn't with me today."
Oakland scored two in the second after a pair of one-out walks was followed by a two-run double by Seth Smith, and Lowrie added a two-run blast in the third for a 4-0 lead.
In the fourth, Crisp hit a two-out solo shot to right and Young hit his second of the year in the fifth with two on for an 8-0 advantage.
Houston finally got on the board in the sixth inning. With the bases loaded and two outs, Matt Dominguez hit a ball to shortstop that saw Jed Lowrie's throw go wild, allowing two runs to score. Chris Carter was thrown out on third on the play and it was an 8-2 game.
Corporan grounded out with Carter on third after a leadoff triple in the eighth to score another run and make it an 8-3 contest.
A's starting pitchers have recorded the decision in each of the first seven games of the season. The last time the club had a longer streak was when it recorded a decision in 12 straight games in 1989 ... Houston plays its first road series of the season in Seattle when it starts a three-game set on Monday ... Oakland starts a three-game set in Los Angeles against the Angels on Tuesday ... Oakland has won eight of the nine games all-time against Houston ... The Astros batted just 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven.
- OAKLAND: 9
Apr 7 5:18 PM
- Brandon Moss single to right scored John Jaso with one out. On the play, Jed Lowrie advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Young due up.
Athletics 9, Astros 3 Top 9, 1 OutApr 7 5:05 PM
- Carlos Corporan ground out short to first scored Chris Carter with two outs. None on and Matt Dominguez due up.
Athletics 8, Astros 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 7 4:55 PM
- Matt Dominguez reached first on Jed Lowrie's throwing error scoring Justin Maxwell and J.D. Martinez with two outs. On the play, Chris Carter tagged out at third to end the inning.
Athletics 8, Astros 2 End 6Apr 7 4:20 PM
- Chris Young one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Jed Lowrie and Brandon Moss. Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 8, Astros 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 7 3:33 PM
- Coco Crisp two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. John Jaso due up.
Athletics 5, Astros 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 7 3:21 PM
- Jed Lowrie two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Coco Crisp. Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 4, Astros 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 7 2:59 PM
- Seth Smith doubled to right center scoring Brandon Moss and Chris Young with one out. Runner on second and Josh Donaldson due up.
Athletics 2, Astros 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 7 2:35 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 7 2:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21