Crisp key as Oakland thumps AstrosApr 6, 2013 - 6:51 AM
Josh Donaldson drove in two runs while John Jaso added a pair of hits along with an RBI and a run scored for the Athletics, who split a four-game series with Seattle to start the season.
Dan Straily (1-0) gave up two runs on five hits with a career-high 11 strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings to get the win.
"He pounded his fastball tonight, threw his breaking ball when he had to but was aggressive," said Oakland manager Bob Melvin on his starter's performance.
Jose Altuve had two hits and an RBI while Matt Dominguez and Marwin Gonzalez also drove in a run for the Astros, who won their season opener on Sunday but then dropped the next two games against the Rangers.
Brad Peacock (0-1) was touched for two runs on three hits with three walks and five strikeouts in 4 1/3 innings.
"It's the first time I've been out there in a while," said Peacock. "Just tried to throw to hard maybe."
Crisp got things started for the A's in the first inning when he led off the game with his first home run of the season.
The score stayed that way until the fifth when Oakland expanded on its advantage significantly.
With the bases loaded, Yoenis Cespedes hit a ball to short that Gonzalez misplayed, allowing two runners to cross the plate. Josh Reddick then scored a run when Jaso reached base on a sac bunt and Chris Young walked to again load the bases. Donaldson followed with a two-run single to right, and Crisp later drove in two more with a double for an 8-0 advantage.
Altuve got the Astros on the board in the sixth when he singled home Gonzalez, who had led off with a double.
Dominguez's RBI single in the seventh made it an 8-2 game, and the Astros got another run in the ninth on a run-scoring groundout by Gonzalez.
These two teams last met in 2007, with Oakland taking two of three in Houston ... Bartolo Colon pitches for Oakland on Saturday while Erik Bedard gets the start for Houston ... Oakland left 11 men on base while batting 3-for-11 with runners in scoring position ... The Astros have struck out 56 times in their first four games, a new Major League record.
- OAKLAND: 8
Apr 6 12:03 AM
- Marwin Gonzalez's ground out short to first scored Jason Castro with two out. On the play, Matt Dominguez advances to third. Runner on third and Jose Altuve due up.
Athletics 8, Astros 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 6 12:01 AM
- Matt Dominguez single to left scored Justin Maxwell with two out. Matt Dominguez to second on the throw. Runner on second and Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Athletics 8, Astros 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 5 11:09 PM
- Jose Altuve single to center scored Marwin Gonzalez with none out. Runner on first and Brett Wallace due up.
Athletics 8, Astros 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 5 10:45 PM
- Coco Crisp double to right scored Chris Young and Josh Donaldson with two out. On the play, Eric Sogard advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 8, Astros 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 5 10:11 PM
- Josh Donaldson single to right scored Yoenis Cespedes and John Jaso with one out. On the play, Chris Young advances to second. Runners on first and second and Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 6, Astros 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 5 10:01 PM
- John Jaso's sacrifice bunt scored Josh Reddick with one out. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Young due up.
Athletics 4, Astros 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 5 9:56 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez's fielding error scored Coco Crisp and Jed Lowrie with one out. Yoenis Cespedes reached first. On the play, Josh Reddick advances to third. Runners on first and third and John Jaso due up.
Athletics 3, Astros 0 Top 5, 1 OutApr 5 9:54 PM
- Coco Crisp lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 5 8:13 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 5 8:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21