Astros break out the bats to pound MarinersApr 10, 2013 - 6:43 AM
Chris Carter hit two home runs and Jose Altuve went 4-for-6 with a homer and four RBI to help guide the Astros to a 16-9 win over the Seattle Mariners Tuesday night at Safeco Field.
J.D. Martinez and Marwin Gonzalez also hit home runs for Houston, which snapped a six-game losing skid. Gonzalez went 3-for-3 with three runs scored.
Erik Bedard struck out three in four shutout innings for the Astros while allowing just one hit. Paul Clemens (1-0) picked up his first career win in his MLB debut despite allowing five earned runs and three long balls in four innings of work.
The Astros knocked Seattle starter Brandon Maurer out of the game after just two-thirds of an inning pitched. Maurer surrendered six earned runs and seven hits before giving way to the bullpen.
"These are days you just forget," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge. "You take whatever good you can out of it, some good things happened for us offensively at the end of the game, but from a pitching perspective, we just had a very off day, everybody was scuffling today. It was just a bad day."
Jason Bay and Raul Ibanez each belted pinch-hit home runs for the Mariners, who have lost five of seven.
Houston wasted no time taking command of the game, putting up a six-spot in the first inning. Carlos Pena started things off with a two-run double with the bases loaded. Martinez and Matt Dominguez each drove in a run and Altuve added a two-run double before Maurer was lifted for Kameron Loe, who got Justin Maxwell to pop up to end the frame.
The Astros added three more runs in the second on a solo home run by Carter and two-run shot from Martinez.
Gonzalez, who broke up Yu Darvish's perfect game bid earlier in the season, hit his first homer of the season to lead off the third inning. Carter plated Maxwell later in the frame.
Altuve's two-run bomb in the top of the fourth put Houston up 13-0.
"We showed today what the team really has, the guys woke up today, I just think of it that way," said Altuve. "Tomorrow, we're going to do the same thing, work hard, and when you work hard, good things are going to happen."
Seattle finally threatened with the bases loaded in the bottom of the stanza but Bedard got Jesus Montero to pop up in foul territory to get out of trouble.
The Mariners managed to get on the board in the fifth inning on a pair of sacrifice flies by Brendan Ryan and Michael Saunders, but Maxwell brought home another run in the sixth on a double play.
Bay hit a solo homer in the Seattle seventh, while Gonzalez answered with an RBI single in the home portion.
With the game just about out of reach, Ibanez and Michael Morse hit back-to- back home runs off Clemens in the eighth to bring Seattle to within 15-5.
Houston mustered one final run in the ninth on Carter's second bomb of the game. Ibanez then added his second RBI with a single to left, Bay scored his second run on an Altuve throwing error and Justin Smoak's two-RBI single rounded out the scoring.
Ibanez is the all-time leader in home runs at Safeco Field with 67 ... The Astros hit five home runs Tuesday after entering the contest having hit just two ... Houston first baseman Brett Wallace went 0-for-4 with four strikeouts, bringing him to 1-for-21 with 17 strikeouts on the year ... The 10,745 fans were the smallest crowd to ever see an MLB game at Safeco Field.
- HOUSTON: 16
Apr 10 1:50 AM
- Justin Smoak singled to right scored Raul Ibanez and Michael Morse with two outs. Runner on first and Jesus Montero due up.
Astros 16, Mariners 9 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 10 1:50 AM
- Michael Morse reached second on Jose Altuve's throwing error scored Jason Bay with two outs. On the play, Raul Ibanez advances to third. Runners on second and third and Justin Smoak due up.
Astros 16, Mariners 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 10 1:49 AM
- Raul Ibanez single to left scored Brendan Ryan with two outs. On the play, Jason Bay advances to second. Runners on first and second and Michael Morse due up.
Astros 16, Mariners 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 10 1:42 AM
- Chris Carter lead off Home Run 2 (2) to left. Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 16, Mariners 5 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 10 1:26 AM
- Michael Morse Home Run (6) to center. Justin Smoak due up.
Astros 15, Mariners 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 10 1:13 AM
- Raul Ibanez lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Michael Morse due up.
Astros 15, Mariners 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 10 1:12 AM
- Marwin Gonzalez single to center scored Brandon Barnes with none out. On the play, Matt Dominguez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 15, Mariners 3 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 10 1:02 AM
- Jason Bay two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Michael Saunders due up.
Astros 14, Mariners 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 10 12:56 AM
- Justin Maxwell ground ball double play, short to second to first scored Marwin Gonzalez with two outs. Jose Altuve out at second. None on and Jason Castro due up.
Astros 14, Mariners 2 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 10 12:34 AM
- Michael Saunders sacrifice fly to right scored Robert Andino with two outs. Runner on first and Kendrys Morales due up.
Astros 13, Mariners 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 10 12:22 AM
- Brendan Ryan sacrifice fly to right scored Dustin Ackley with one out. Runner on second and Franklin Gutierrez due up.
Astros 13, Mariners 1 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 10 12:19 AM
- Jose Altuve two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Marwin Gonzalez. Justin Maxwell due up.
Astros 13, Mariners 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 9 11:33 PM
- Chris Carter single to left scored Justin Maxwell with one out. On the play, Jason Castro advances to second. Runners on first and second and Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 11, Mariners 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 9 11:09 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 10, Mariners 0 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 9 11:04 PM
- J.D. Martinez one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Carlos Pena. Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 9, Mariners 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 9 10:51 PM
- Chris Carter one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 7, Mariners 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 9 10:48 PM
- Jose Altuve double to left scored J.D. Martinez and Matt Dominguez with two outs. On the play, Marwin Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on second and third and Justin Maxwell due up.
Astros 6, Mariners 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 9 10:31 PM
- Matt Dominguez single to first scored Carlos Pena with two outs. On the play, J.D. Martinez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Astros 4, Mariners 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 9 10:27 PM
- J.D. Martinez single to left scored Jason Castro with one out. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 3, Mariners 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 9 10:22 PM
- Carlos Pena double to right scored Jose Altuve and Justin Maxwell with one out. On the play, Jason Castro advances to third. Runners on second and third and J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 2, Mariners 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 9 10:20 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 9 10:13 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Mariners SS Ketel Marte leaves game with sprained thumb May 21