Astros beat up Mariners to take seriesApr 11, 2013 - 6:45 AM
Carlos Pena collected three hits, an RBI and two runs scored, while Rick Ankiel clubbed a two-run homer and Marwin Gonzalez added a solo shot to help the Astros notch their first series victory of the season.
"Everybody's confidence was still up, as a team we had better at bats today and yesterday," Carter said. "Everybody's happy as a team, (to) just go out there and show we can still do it, not to get down, the first two series we got beat pretty good, but this series we came back and hopefully, it keeps rolling."
Brad Peacock (1-1) limited the Mariners to three runs on four hits and a walk over five-plus frames to earn the victory.
Kelly Shoppach went 3-for-3 with a solo home run and two RBI, while Franklin Gutierrez accounted for the other Seattle run with his third homer of the season.
Blake Beavan (0-1) allowed five runs -- four earned -- on nine hits over 5 2/3 innings to absorb the loss for the M's, who have lost four of their last five.
"You've got to execute pitches. You can't give up that many hits in two nights and expect to win ballgames," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said. "You've got to execute pitches, you've got to work hard to get ahead and stay ahead, and when you do, you've got to finish them off. We've just made too many mistakes from a pitching standpoint, and when you do that, it makes it a lot easier for the opposition."
The game got off to an inauspicious start for the Mariners, as Jose Altuve launched Beavan's fourth offering deep into the gap in right-center field.
Seattle right fielder Michael Saunders was able to track the ball down at the warning track, but as he made the catch, he ran full speed into the padded wall. Saunders remained down on the warning track dirt and had to be removed from the contest because of a sprained right shoulder.
After going down in order in the first, Houston got on the board with a three- run second, as Carter started the inning with a single and Pena followed with a double. J.D. Martinez then plated Carter with a sacrifice fly before Ankiel crushed a changeup over the center-field wall to give the Astros a 3-0 lead.
The Astros added to lead in the third, as Jason Castro led off with a high fly ball that shortstop Brendan Ryan lost in the lights, allowing Castro to make his way to second.
Carter followed with a fly out that moved Castro to third before Pena stroked a single to right to make it 4-0. Martinez then scorched a double off the right-field wall to score Pena for a 5-0 advantage.
Seattle's first hit of the game produced the team's first run, as Shoppach smacked a one-out blast in the third to bring the M's within 5-1.
Shoppach scorched a run-scoring double in his next at-bat in the fifth before Gutierrez led off the sixth with an opposite-field homer to trim Seattle's deficit to 5-3.
Houston added a pair of insurance runs in the seventh when Castro stroked a one-out double and Carter followed with a towering fly ball into the bullpen in left field to give the Astros a 7-3 lead.
Gonzalez belted a one-out homer in the eighth to account for the final margin.
It was Houston's third consecutive series victory over the Mariners ... Houston went 3-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base ... Seattle went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left six on base ... Seattle LHP Bobby LaFromboise spun a perfect ninth in his major league debut.
- HOUSTON: 8
Apr 11 1:50 AM
- Marwin Gonzalez one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 8, Mariners 3 Top 8, 1 OutApr 11 1:08 AM
- Chris Carter one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Jason Castro. Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 7, Mariners 3 Top 7, 1 OutApr 11 12:47 AM
- Franklin Gutierrez lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Kendrys Morales due up.
Astros 5, Mariners 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 11 12:29 AM
- Kelly Shoppach doubled to center, deflected by left fielder scored Dustin Ackley. Runner on second with one out and Brendan Ryan due up.
Astros 5, Mariners 2 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 11 12:11 AM
- Kelly Shoppach one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Brendan Ryan due up.
Astros 5, Mariners 1 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 10 11:24 PM
- J.D. Martinez doubled to right scored Carlos Pena with one out. Runner on second and Rick Ankiel due up.
Astros 5, Mariners 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 10 11:10 PM
- Carlos Pena singled to right scored Jason Castro with one out. Runner on first and J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 4, Mariners 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 10 11:08 PM
- Rick Ankiel one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Carlos Pena. Matt Dominguez due up.
Astros 3, Mariners 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 10 10:42 PM
- J.D. Martinez sacrifice fly out to right scored Chris Carter with one out. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to third. Runner on third and Rick Ankiel due up.
Astros 1, Mariners 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 10 10:41 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 10 10:13 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Mariners SS Ketel Marte leaves game with sprained thumb May 21