Angels rally to down AstrosApr 14, 2013 - 5:05 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - All of the dollars spent during the offseason hadn't been adding up to wins for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim so far.
But Albert Pujols may have provided the Angels with the spark they needed.
Pujols' game-winning, two-run double in the bottom of the ninth lifted the Halos to a 5-4 win over the Houston Astros in the middle test of a three-game set.
Luis Jimenez worked a one-out walk against Jose Veras (0-1) before J.B. Shuck flew out to left. Mike Trout then recorded an infield single when Marwin Gonzalez couldn't handle his grounder in the hole on the left side. Pujols stepped up next and ripped a sharply-hit grounder down the third-base line to bring home Jimenez and Trout to avoid the Angels' worst start in franchise history.
Pujols' 15th career walk-off hit snapped a four-game home losing streak to start the campaign.
"I thank god I came through, hopefully this win will get us going," Pujols said.
Josh Hamilton smacked his first homer as an Angel, while Michael Roth (1-0) struck out four over two shutout innings to pick up the win.
"It's good to get that first one out of the way," Hamilton said of his homer. "When the ball hit the barrel, it felt nice and easy. Everything just flowed with the swing."
Chris Carter smacked a two-run homer among his two hits and scored twice for Houston, which had its three-game winning streak snapped.
"A tough loss, Albert Pujols is Albert Pujols. He's one of the best players for a reason. It's unfortunate because these guys played their hearts out," Astros manager Bo Porter said.
Matt Dominguez's RBI single and Gonzalez's suicide squeeze in the seventh vaulted Houston to a 4-1 edge, but Los Angeles plated two in the eighth to cut the deficit to a run.
Pujols led off the frame with a single off Rhiner Cruz and after Hamilton struck out, Mark Trumbo pounded a double down the left-field line to put runners on second and third. Howie Kendrick was credited with a sacrifice fly when he lifted a fly ball to right, which J.D. Martinez dropped to allow Pujols to score. Chris Iannetta then hit a sac fly to center to push across Trumbo and make it 4-3, but the tying-runner Kendrick was thrown out at second after hesitating whether or not to tag and move up to third.
Earlier, Carter's two-run shot to right-center in the fourth helped Houston jump out to a 2-0 advantage before Hamilton's solo homer to right-center in the sixth trimmed the margin.
The Angels had never dropped their first five home games to start a season ... Starter Garrett Richards stepped in for an injured Jered Weaver and allowed four runs on three hits and three walks over 6 1/3 frames ... Astros starter Lucas Harrell gave up six hits over 5 2/3 innings.
- HOUSTON: 4
LOS ANGELES: 5
Apr 14 12:22 AM
- Albert Pujols doubled to left scoring Luis Jimenez and Mike Trout with two out to end the game.
Astros 4, Angels 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 14 12:18 AM
- Chris Iannetta sacrifice fly to center scored Mark Trumbo with two out. On the play, Howie Kendrick was tagged out at second to end the inning.
Astros 4, Angels 3 End 8Apr 13 11:58 PM
- Howie Kendrick reached second on a sacrifice fly error by J.D. Martinez scoring Albert Pujols with one out. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to third. Runners on second and third and Chris Iannetta due up.
Astros 4, Angels 2 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 13 11:54 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez sacrifice bunt to first scored J.D. Martinez with two out. On the play, Matt Dominguez advances to second and Brett Wallace advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 4, Angels 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 13 11:23 PM
- Matt Dominguez singled to right scoring Chris Carter with one out. On the play, Brett Wallace advances to second and J.D. Martinez advances to third. Bases loaded and Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Astros 3, Angels 1 Top 7, 1 OutApr 13 11:19 PM
- Josh Hamilton two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right center. Mark Trumbo due up.
Astros 2, Angels 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 13 10:55 PM
- Chris Carter two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Jose Altuve. Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 2, Angels 0 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 13 9:58 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 13 9:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21