A's get back on track with rout of AstrosApr 16, 2013 - 6:45 AM
They had six cross the plate before there were even two outs in the opening frame.
Nate Freiman smacked a three-run homer as part of a six-run first inning in the Oakland Athletics' 11-2 win over the Houston Astros in the opener of a three-game set.
The A's had lost back-to-back games coming in on the heels of a nine-game winning streak.
Tommy Milone (3-0) fanned six and surrendered two runs on eight hits over 6 2/3 frames, while Jed Lowrie tallied two hits, four RBI and a run scored for Oakland.
"He's not going to beat himself. He's going to make his defenders work. He works quick ... He's been the model of consistency," A's manager Bob Melvin said.
Erik Bedard (0-1) lasted just one-third of an inning in the start for Houston, which has dropped three straight contests. He allowed all six of the first- inning runs on four walks and two hits.
Bedard walked his first three batters before striking out Lowrie. A wild pitch allowed Coco Crisp to score before Brandon Moss stroked a two-run single to right. Freiman stepped up next and belted a hanging curveball deep into the left-field seats for his first major league home run to make it 6-0 and knock Bedard out of the game.
"Six runs in the first inning is always a tough deficit to overcome, especially with a guy like Tommy Milone on the mound," Houston manager Bo Porter said. "You knew you had to hit your way back into the game with him on the mound. It put us behind the 8-ball."
Carlos Pena's RBI single in the fourth and Jose Altuve's run-scoring base hit in the seventh cut the deficit to 6-2 before Oakland responded with three runs in the home half of the seventh and two more in the eighth.
Lowrie slapped a two-run single back up the middle and Moss' RBI double increased the advantage to 9-2 in the seventh. Lowrie's two-run single in the eighth made it 11-2.
Pena had two of the Astros' eight hits ... The A's were 5-for-11 with runners in scoring position, while Houston finished 2-for-7 with RISP ... Moss has 13 RBI on the year.
- HOUSTON: 2
Apr 16 1:33 AM
- Jed Lowrie single to right scored Seth Smith and Derek Norris. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Donaldson due up.
Astros 2, Athletics 11 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 16 1:20 AM
- Brandon Moss double to center scored Jed Lowrie. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Nate Freiman due up.
Astros 2, Athletics 9 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 16 12:51 AM
- Jed Lowrie single to center scored Derek Norris and Chris Young. Runner on first with one out and Josh Donaldson due up.
Astros 2, Athletics 8 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 16 12:45 AM
- Jose Altuve single to center scored Ronny Cedeno. On the play, Brandon Barnes advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Justin Maxwell due up.
Astros 2, Athletics 6 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 16 12:30 AM
- Carlos Pena single to left scored Jason Castro. On the play, J.D. Martinez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Matt Dominguez due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 6 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 15 11:32 PM
- Nate Freiman one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Josh Donaldson and Brandon Moss. Michael Taylor due up.
Astros 0, Athletics 6 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 15 10:37 PM
- Brandon Moss single to right scored Derek Norris and Chris Young. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Nate Freiman due up.
Astros 0, Athletics 3 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 15 10:35 PM
- Coco Crisp scored on a wild pitch.Chris Young advances to second and Derek Norris advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Josh Donaldson at the plate.
Astros 0, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 15 10:32 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 15 10:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21