A's score early, hold on to sweep AstrosApr 18, 2013 - 12:52 AM
Josh Reddick drove in two runs with a double for Oakland, which has won 12 of 14 after dropping its first two games of the season. John Jaso added an RBI, two hits and a run scored and Seth Smith went 3-for-5.
Colon (2-0) yielded one run on four hits and struck out three in the victory.
"We're getting contributions up and down the lineup and that's why we've been consistent so far," Lowrie said.
Carlos Pena and Rick Ankiel each hit solo homers for the Astros, who have dropped five straight. Starter Bud Norris (2-2) lasted only two-thirds of an inning and gave up six runs on five hits while walking three batters. He threw 46 pitches before exiting.
Norris also struggled in a 6-3 loss to Oakland on April 6, allowing five runs - two earned - while throwing 122 pitches in 5 2/3 innings.
Houston made it a 1-0 game in the first inning. With one out, Chris Carter's fielder's choice scored Jose Altuve, who singled to lead off the frame.
The lead was short-lived, though, as Jaso doubled just inside the left-field line to lead off the first frame for the home team. Chris Young plated Jaso to make it 1-1 with a single to left-center. After Smith hit an infield single, Lowrie drew a walk to load the bases with no outs.
Josh Donaldson fouled out to first base, but Reddick followed and made the most of the opportunity with a two-run double to right field to make it 3-1. Derek Norris walked to once again load the bases and Eric Sogard hit a line drive through the right side scoring Lowrie.
The inning still wasn't done, as Shane Peterson drew a walk to make it 5-1 and Jaso, batting for the second time in the frame, hit a fielder's choice to second base scoring Norris which made it 6-1. Lowrie's fielders choice in the fourth scored Peterson to make it 7-1.
The Astros still trailed by six in the seventh, before Pena came through with a one-out solo blast to right to make it 7-2. Later in the frame, Marwin Gonzalez singled to center to score Brandon Barnes and Altuve followed with an RBI single to right to cut the deficit to 7-4.
Ankiel knocked a pinch-hit solo home run to right-center in the ninth off Grant Balfour. After Matt Dominguez singled to left, Balfour got Gonzalez to ground into a force out at second and Altuve's chopper turned into an easy double play which ended the game and gave the righty reliever his third save of the year.
"I don't believe in moral victories; you either win or lose," Houston manager Bo Porter said. "But at the same time I liked that we kept fighting."
Colon beat the Astros in his first start of the year and is 5-2 over eight starts in his career ... Norris joined fellow Astros pitcher Erik Bedard (April 15 versus Oakland) as the second Houston starter this season to last two-thirds innings or fewer and allow six-plus earned runs ... Oakland has won 11 straight versus AL West foes.
- HOUSTON: 5
Apr 17 7:02 PM
- Pinch-hitter Rick Ankiel lead-off Home Run (3) to right-center. Matt Dominguez is due up.
Astros 5, Athletics 7 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 17 6:53 PM
- Jose Altuve singled to right scoring Matt Dominguez. On the play, Marwin Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Justin Maxwell due up.
Astros 4, Athletics 7 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 17 6:14 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez singled to center scoring Brandon Barnes. On the play, Matt Dominguez advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 3, Athletics 7 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 17 6:13 PM
- Carlos Pena one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right-center. J.D. Martinez is due up.
Astros 2, Athletics 7 Top 7, 1 OutApr 17 6:02 PM
- Jed Lowrie's fielder's choice from short to second scored Shane Peterson. Seth Smith out at second and Chris Young advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Josh Donaldson due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 17 5:14 PM
- John Jaso's groundout from second to first scored Derek Norris. On the play, Shane Peterson advances to second and Eric Sogard advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Chris Young due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 6 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 17 4:18 PM
- Shane Peterson's walk scored Josh Reddick. Bases loaded with one out and John Jaso due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 5 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 17 4:14 PM
- Eric Sogard singled to right scoring Jed Lowrie. On the play, Derek Norris advances to second and Josh Reddick advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Shane Peterson due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 4 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 17 4:11 PM
- Josh Reddick doubled to right scoring Chris Young and Seth Smith. On the play, Jed Lowrie advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Derek Norris due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 3 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 17 4:05 PM
- Chris Young singled to left-center scoring John Jaso. On the play, Young advances to second on Justin Maxwell's fielding error. Runner on second with none out and Seth Smith due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 17 3:56 PM
- Chris Carter's fielder's choice from third to second scored Jose Altuve. Jason Castro out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 17 3:45 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 17 3:37 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21