Indians leave Houston with series victoryApr 22, 2013 - 6:18 AM
Yan Gomes, Carlos Santana and Drew Stubbs also went deep once each for the Indians, who took the final two games in the series to erase the memory of a five-game losing streak.
Cody Allen (1-0) recorded the final out of the sixth for the win. Starter Ubaldo Jimenez pitched into the sixth, yielding four runs and as many hits with four strikeouts and one walk.
Chris Perez left the bases loaded in the ninth for his second save, aided by Reynolds' diving stop at third on a Jason Castro grounder.
"I was throwing all over the place today ... I was battling my location a little bit," Perez said.
Fernando Martinez hit a two-run homer, while Jose Altuve knocked in a run and scored twice for the Astros, losers in seven of their last eight.
Hector Ambriz (0-1) served up the deciding blast over his two relief innings. Erik Bedard was pulled after four frames, having yielded six hits and two runs while fanning eight.
Reynolds' two-out solo shot in the seventh put the visitors back on top, and after the Astros wasted a two-on, one-out situation in the home half, things were quiet until Houston's last chance at the plate.
Perez served up a leadoff double to Rick Ankiel, then hit Matt Dominguez -- who left the game -- on the left arm. Marwin Gonzalez sacrificed both runners and Altuve was given a free pass to load the bases. Chris Carter fanned swinging, then Castro grounded sharply to third for the final out.
"In that situation there, you at least think you are going to tie the game, so it was unfortunate that we didn't put together at bats that warranted us tying the game," Astros manager Bo Porter said.
Altuve walked to start the home first, then Martinez hit an opposite-field two-run shot just over the high wall in left.
Gomes' two-out solo shot in the second put the Tribe on the board, and Ryan Raburn knocked in Santana with a third-inning single to tie the score at 2-2.
Santana began the fifth by taking Brett Oberholtzer to left field for a one- run Indians edge, and Stubbs went deep with one out in the sixth for a 4-2 game.
Houston picked up two in the home sixth after an RBI triple from Altuve and a sacrifice fly from Carter. Following walks to Brandon Laird and Carlos Pena, Nick Hagadone was pulled for Allen, who retired Justin Maxwell on a fly to right to end the inning.
Cleveland improved to 10-11 all-time against Houston ... Prior to the game, the Astros recalled Oberholtzer from Oklahoma City (PCL) and optioned pitcher Dallas Keuchel to OKC ... Cleveland placed pitcher Brett Myers on the 15-day disabled list and recalled pitcher Fernando Nieve from Columbus (IL) before the contest ... Coming off a career-worst start of 1 2/3 innings on April 16 at Boston, Jimenez's ERA swelled from 1.50 to 11.25 and back down to 10.06 following Sunday's outing.
- CLEVELAND: 5
Apr 21 5:32 PM
- Mark Reynolds two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Ryan Raburn due up.
Indians 5, Astros 4 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 21 4:34 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Carter sacrifice fly to right scored Jose Altuve. None on with one out and Jason Castro due up.
Indians 4, Astros 4 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 21 4:06 PM
- Jose Altuve triple to right scored Marwin Gonzalez. Runner on third with none out and Fernando Martinez due up.
Indians 4, Astros 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 21 4:01 PM
- Drew Stubbs one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 4, Astros 2 Top 6, 1 OutApr 21 3:51 PM
- Carlos Santana lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 3, Astros 2 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 21 3:32 PM
- Ryan Raburn single to right scored Carlos Santana. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 2, Astros 2 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 21 3:05 PM
- Yan Gomes two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Drew Stubbs due up.
Indians 1, Astros 2 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 21 2:36 PM
- Fernando Martinez none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Jose Altuve. Jason Castro due up.
Indians 0, Astros 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 21 2:25 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 2:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21