Astros edge MarinersApr 24, 2013 - 6:07 AM
Bud Norris (3-2) lasted just five innings but surrendered just one run for Houston, which snapped a three-game losing streak. Jose Veras pitched a perfect ninth for his second save of the year.
"I didn't really get my groove for awhile, didn't really have the night, but that's going to happen," said Norris. "So, to get through five and keep it a one-run ball is what it's all about and to get the win is huge."
Matt Dominguez sprayed two hits for the Astros, who won despite striking out a combined 15 times.
Hisashi Iwakuma (2-1) was brilliant in the losing effort, striking out a season-best 11 batters. Iwakuma did yield six hits and three runs -- two earned -- in five innings of work.
Kendry Morales had two hits, including his third home run of the season, while Justin Smoak and Michael Morse each went 2-for-4.
"Had guys on and hit balls hard," said Smoak. "Just things didn't go our way tonight."
Seattle threatened to get things started in the first inning, but after loading the bases, Norris got Raul Ibanez to ground to Gonzalez to end the threat.
Ibanez then muffed a ball in left field in the bottom of the frame, allowing Jason Castro to come around to score, giving Houston the early 1-0 advantage.
The Mariners tied things up next inning on Endy Chavez's two-out double to right-center field. Dustin Ackley crossed the plate before Chavez got greedy trying to stretch out a triple. He was tagged out between second and third.
Houston added its final two runs in the third inning. Gonzalez led off with a home run to right on a 2-0 count. After allowing singles to Jose Altuve and Fernando Martinez, Iwakuma struck out the next two hitters he faced. Carlos Pena was then intentionally walked to load the bases, but Iwakuma hit Justin Maxwell to force in what would become the decisive run.
Morales went yard in the seventh inning off Travis Blackley to round out the margin.
Castro stole the first base of his career ... Houston hit 0-for-14 with runners in scoring position ... Seattle third basema
- SEATTLE: 2
Apr 23 11:26 PM
- Kendrys Morales lead-off Home Run (3) to left center. Michael Morse due up.
Mariners 2, Astros 3 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 23 10:58 PM
- Justin Maxwell was hit-by-pitch, Jose Altuve scored on the play. Bases loaded with two out and Rick Ankiel due up.
Mariners 1, Astros 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 23 9:25 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Jose Altuve due up.
Mariners 1, Astros 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 23 9:10 PM
- Endy Chavez double to right scored Dustin Ackley. On the play, Endy Chavez tagged out at third to end the inning.
Mariners 1, Astros 1 Mid 2Apr 23 8:51 PM
- Chris Carter singled to left. On the play, Raul Ibanez's error fielding error scored Jason Castro. Runner on second with two out and Carlos Pena due up.
Mariners 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 23 8:34 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 8:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Mariners SS Ketel Marte leaves game with sprained thumb May 21