Laird's big afternoon leads Astros past MarinersApr 24, 2013 - 11:23 PM
Chris Carter hit a solo homer, while Matt Dominguez had two hits and drove in a pair of runs for the Astros, who have won two straight. Lucas Harrell (2-2) fanned five batters and gave up one run on six hits over seven innings in the victory.
The Astros also picked up their second series win of the young season, although four of the team's seven overall victories have come versus Seattle. Houston placed starting center fielder Justin Maxwell on the disabled list following Tuesday's 3-2 win after being hit by a pitch in the third inning and braking his hand.
"That felt like a complete game," Houston manager Bo Porter said. "We pitched well, we hit well. We made all the plays, and we came up with a couple big hits."
Jeff Smoak hit a solo home run and Robert Andino had one RBI for the Mariners, losers in five of their last six games. Starter Joe Saunders (1-3) struggled through five innings, allowing eight runs on 11 hits to go along with two walks in the setback.
"Forget it easily," Saunders said. "That's it. Bad days happen."
Facing a full count in the second inning, Carter launched Saunders' offering to left for a moon shot home run to put Houston ahead, 1-0.
The hosts struck again in the fourth with one out. Carter drew a walk and Carlos Corporan singled to right to put runners on first and second. Cedeno then hit a three-run bomb to left to make it 4-0.
In the fifth, Robbie Grossman, who replaced Maxwell in the starting lineup, doubled to lead off the frame. Laird answered with his own double to left just one batter later, plating Grossman to make it 5-0.
Seattle finally reached the scoreboard in the sixth, as Kendrys Morales grounded into a 4-6-3 double play, but scored Endy Chavez to cut the deficit to four. That's the closest it got, however, as Houston put the game out of reach in the bottom of the inning with five runs.
Dominguez's single to left drove in Corporan and Cedeno to make it 7-1. Blake Beavan then relieved Saunders and looked to get out of the jam with two outs and runners on second and third, but Laird deposited his 1-1 pitch well over the left field wall to make it 10-1.
Seattle's Seager has hit safely in a career-best 13 games ... Harrell became the first Houston starter in the last eight games to make it through six-plus innings ... Grossman finished with two doubles, becoming the second Astro to hit two doubles in his Major League debut ... Andino's RBI single in the ninth scored Dustin Ackley to account for the final run, while Smoak hit his solo homer earlier in the frame.
- SEATTLE: 3
Apr 24 4:55 PM
- Robert Andino single to center scored Dustin Ackley. Runner on first with two outs and Endy Chavez due up.
Mariners 3, Astros 10 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 24 4:53 PM
- Justin Smoak lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Raul Ibanez due up.
Mariners 2, Astros 10 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 24 4:48 PM
- Brandon Laird two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Matt Dominguez and Brandon Barnes. Carlos Pena due up.
Mariners 1, Astros 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 24 4:06 PM
- Matt Dominguez single to left scored Carlos Corporan and Ronny Cedeno. On the play, Matt Dominguez advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with none out and Brandon Barnes due up.
Mariners 1, Astros 7 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 24 3:55 PM
- Kendrys Morales grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Endy Chavez. On the play, Kyle Seager out at second. None on with two outs and Michael Morse due up.
Mariners 1, Astros 5 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 24 3:44 PM
- Brandon Laird double to left scored Robbie Grossman. Runner on second with one out and Carlos Pena due up.
Mariners 0, Astros 5 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 24 3:37 PM
- Ronny Cedeno one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Chris Carter and Carlos Corporan. Matt Dominguez due up.
Mariners 0, Astros 4 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 24 3:19 PM
- Chris Carter lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Carlos Corporan due up.
Mariners 0, Astros 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 24 2:43 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 24 2:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Mariners SS Ketel Marte leaves game with sprained thumb May 21