Astros belt six HRs to down OriolesJun 6, 2013 - 6:22 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Matt Dominguez drove in three runs, and he was one of six different Houston players to homer, as the Astros held off the Baltimore Orioles, 11-7, at Minute Maid Park.
The six home runs hit by the Astros were one shy of a club record, set Sept. 9, 2000 at Wrigley Field against the Chicago Cubs. Jose Altuve, Jason Castro, J.D. Martinez, Carlos Pena and Marwin Gonzalez also went deep for Houston, which has won seven of its last eight games.
J.J. Hardy and Matt Wieters each homered and had two RBI for the Orioles, who lost for just the second time in seven games.
Baltimore nearly came back from a 9-1 deficit. The O's scored three times in each the seventh and eighth innings. They had the bases full with the tying run at the plate in the eighth, but Hardy grounded into a double play to end the inning.
It was a tough night for Orioles starter Freddy Garcia (2-3). The veteran right-hander, who threw eight shutout innings in his last start, allowed seven hits, including four homers, and six runs over three-plus frames.
"I don't think I made any good pitches," Garcia said of the 63-pitch outing. "I got my (butt) kicked tonight. That's part of this game. Sometimes you pitch one game you're dealing and the next game something like that happens."
On the other side, Dallas Keuchel (3-2) limited the Orioles to five hits and a runs over six innings.
Hardy singled in Nate McLouth in the opening inning, but the Astros got two- run homers to right-center from Castro and Pena in the bottom half.
"The offense took a lot a pressure off me," Keuchel said. "I really didn't feel too good today command-wise, but after Castro hit that home run in the first, I kind of took a step back and said, 'All right, just buckle down and try to get some quality outs.'"
Gonzalez homered to the same part of the field in the second inning, and the long ball parade continued in the fourth with three homers, yielding a 9-1 cushion.
Dominguez hit the inning's first pitch over the wall in left. Steve Johnson replaced Garcia and struck out the ensuing two batters, but Altuve homered to left, and after Castro walked it was Martinez's turn to turn on a pitch with a blast to left-center.
Baltimore's three-run seventh was highlighted by Alexi Casilla's RBI triple and Hardy's solo blast to left.
Dominguez doubled to center to drive in two more in the bottom of the frame for an 11-4 margin.
Travis Blackley got into trouble in the eighth, though. Chris Davis doubled and Wieters homered to left-center. A pair of walks and a single to McLouth loaded the bases with one out.
Hector Ambriz was summoned from the bullpen and Manny Machado singled to left to make it a four-run margin, but then Hardy grounded into a 6-4-3 double play.
Houston had lost seven in a row to the Orioles ... Baltimore has homered 31 times in the last 15 games ... Houston had 14 of the game's 27 hits ... This was the first six-homer game for the Astros since Aug. 9, 2006 against the Pirates.
- BALTIMORE: 7
Jun 5 11:22 PM
- Manny Machado singled to left scoring Danny Valencia with one out. On the play, Nate McLouth advances to second and Alexi Casilla advances to third. Bases loaded and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 7, Astros 11 Top 8, 1 OutJun 5 10:59 PM
- Matt Wieters none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left center scored Chris Davis. Danny Valencia due up.
Orioles 6, Astros 11 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 5 10:41 PM
- Matt Dominguez doubled to center scoring Carlos Corporan and Trevor Crowe with one out. On the play, Matt Dominguez out at third, center to short to first. None on with two outs and Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Orioles 4, Astros 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 5 10:33 PM
- J.J. Hardy two-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 4, Astros 9 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 5 10:23 PM
- Nate McLouth sacrifice fly to right scored Alexi Casilla with one out. None on and Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 3, Astros 9 Top 7, 1 OutJun 5 10:19 PM
- Alexi Casilla tripled to center scoring Steve Pearce with none out. Runner on third and Nate McLouth due up.
Orioles 2, Astros 9 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 5 10:18 PM
- J.D. Martinez two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left center scored Jason Castro. Carlos Corporan due up.
Orioles 1, Astros 9 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 5 9:31 PM
- Jose Altuve two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Jason Castro due up.
Orioles 1, Astros 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 5 9:28 PM
- Matt Dominguez lead-off Home Run (9) to left. Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Orioles 1, Astros 6 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 5 9:21 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right center. Brandon Barnes due up.
Orioles 1, Astros 5 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 5 8:52 PM
- Carlos Pena two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right center scored Carlos Corporan. Trevor Crowe due up.
Orioles 1, Astros 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 5 8:35 PM
- Jason Castro one-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right center scored Jose Altuve. J.D. Martinez due up.
Orioles 1, Astros 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 5 8:28 PM
- J.J. Hardy singled to center scoring Nate McLouth with one out. Runner on first and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 5 8:18 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 5 8:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21