Cruz's grand slam powers Texas past HoustonJul 6, 2013 - 5:49 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Nelson Cruz's grand slam led the Texas Rangers in a 10-5 win over the Houston Astros to open a three-game set on Friday.
David Murphy hit a two-run home run as did Adrian Beltre for the Rangers, who have won six of their last nine games. Nick Tepesch (4-6) benefited from the run support as he gave up four runs on seven hits with a walk and nine strikeouts over five-plus innings of work.
"It was nice that he went out there and had a good fastball working," Rangers manager Ron Washington said of Tepesch. "He was able to spot it down and away. He had a good changeup tonight."
Chris Carter drove in a pair of runs and Jason Castro was 3-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored for the Astros, who have dropped seven of eight. Lucas Harrell was lit up for nine runs - seven earned -- on five hits and six walks in just 3 2/3 innings of work.
"He just didn't have his fastball command today," Astros manager Bo Porter said of Harrell. "Against a good hitting ballclub like this, you fall behind in the count and get into some predictable fastball counts, they're going to put good swings on it."
The Rangers got on the board in the first inning as Ian Kinsler drew a leadoff walk and Murphy followed with his 10th homer of the year for a 2-0 lead.
In the second, Elvis Andrus singled with one out and Kinsler and Murphy drew walks to load the bases for Cruz, who clubbed a 1-2 fastball over the left field wall for a grand slam and a 6-0 lead.
Texas continued to pad its lead in the fourth as Leonys Martin tripled to start the frame, Kinsler walked and Murphy hit into a double play to score Martin. Cruz was able to reach base on a Brett Wallace error and Beltre took advantage of the gift with his 17th home run of the season for a 9-0 lead.
Martin singled home Mitch Moreland, who doubled with one out, in the fifth to make it a double-digit lead for the Rangers.
Houston put together a brief rally in the sixth as Castro singled in a run and Carter doubled home two. J.D. Martinez later singled home Carter to make it a 10-4 game.
The Astros got another run in the eighth as Castro scored when a grounder hit to first by Carlos Pena saw Moreland's throw hit off the hand of Carter, who was sliding into second, and the ball went into the outfield to make it a 10-5 game.
Texas has won six of seven games from Houston this season ... It was Tepesch's first win since May 12, as he had gone 0-3 in his previous eight starts ... Harrell is 0-2 in his past four starts, giving up 16 earned runs in 19 1/3 innings.
- Jose Altuve struck out swinging to end the game.
Jul 5 11:22 PM
- Carlos Pena reaches on a throwing error by first baseman Mitch Moreland, scoring Jason Castro. On the play, Chris Carter advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 5, Rangers 10 Top 8, 0 OutsJul 5 10:56 PM
- J.D. Martinez single to left scored Chris Carter. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Brandon Barnes due up.
Astros 4, Rangers 10 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 5 10:17 PM
- Chris Carter double to left scored Brett Wallace and Jason Castro. Runner on second with none out and Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 3, Rangers 10 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 5 10:11 PM
- Jason Castro single to right scored Jose Altuve. On the play, Brett Wallace advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Chris Carter due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 10 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 5 10:08 PM
- Leonys Martin single to center scored Mitch Moreland. Runner on first with two outs and Ian Kinsler due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 10 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 5 9:59 PM
- Adrian Beltre two-out, two-run Home Run (17) to left scored Nelson Cruz. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 9 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 5 9:36 PM
- David Murphy grounded into a double play, second to short to first to score Leonys Martin. Ian Kinsler out at second. None on with two outs and Nelson Cruz due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 5 9:34 PM
- Nelson Cruz two-out, Grand Slam (21) to left center scored Elvis Andrus, Ian Kinsler and David Murphy. Adrian Beltre due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 5 8:56 PM
- David Murphy none-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right center scored Ian Kinsler. Nelson Cruz due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 5 8:23 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 5 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21