Mariners get one hit, still beat AstrosJul 21, 2013 - 5:13 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Michael Saunders' go-ahead two-run double in the seventh inning was the deciding blow, as the Seattle Mariners overcame a non-traditional no-hit bid from Houston's Erik Bedard to post a 4-2 victory in the second edition of a three-game set.
Bedard (3-7) held a 2-0 lead after five innings. However, he walked Saunders and Brad Miller with one out in the sixth, then a passed ball by Astros catcher Jason Castro with Nick Franklin at the plate advanced both into scoring position before Franklin's fly to center brought across Seattle's first run. Miller scored on another passed ball, but after Raul Ibanez walked, Kendrys Morales flied out to keep it 2-2.
The left-hander exited after issuing a one-out walk to Justin Smoak in the seventh, and the bullpen didn't hold up its end of the bargain. Jose Cisnero fanned Dustin Ackley, but walked Mike Zunino ahead of the deciding hit from Saunders which put Seattle ahead by a 4-2 count.
It was the Mariners' only hit of the night.
"That's the oddest win I've ever been a part of," Saunders said. "To score two runs on no hits and no errors, I don't remember the last time that happened. We're just grinding out at-bats."
Bedard's final line: 6 1/3 innings, no hits, three runs -- one earned -- five walks and 10 strikeouts.
"It's tough to take, but I battled for six innings and kept the team in the ballgame," Bedard said. "It was a grind later on."
Counterpart Hisashi Iwakuma (9-4) worked seven full frames, allowing seven hits and two runs while fanning seven with two walks. Tom Wilhelmsen picked up his second save in as many games and 21st of the year with a scoreless ninth.
The Mariners extended their season-high win streak to five in a row.
Matt Dominguez finished with two hits and scored once, while Castro and Jose Altuve knocked in a run each for the Astros, who have lost four straight games.
Both hurlers were locked in a scoreless duel through the first 4 1/2 innings, but Houston finally repaid Bedard's effort in the fifth by scratching out the game's first runs.
Dominguez singled and Jake Elmore doubled to begin Houston's half of the frame, and after Carlos Pena fouled out, Altuve's deep fly to right scored Dominguez. Elmore then came in after Miller was slow to throw to first on a Castro grounder.
Saturday's win marked the third time in franchise history that Seattle won a game while collecting just one hit. The previous two times were a 2-0 win over Texas on Aug. 15, 1989 and a 1-0 decision against the Yankees on Apr. 27, 2002 ... Arizona was the last team to accomplish the feat in a 1-0 victory over the Dodgers on May 14, 2011 ... Bedard allowed one hit in an appearance twice previously this season, logging a save with a 3 1/3-inning performance against Texas on March 31 and in a four-inning no-decision at Seattle on Apr. 9 that was an eventual 16-9 Astros win ... The Mariners now lead the season series 6-5, having won three of five meetings in Houston ... Astros hurlers Travis Blackley and Jose Veras each turned in a scoreless inning of relief to cap the one-hitter ... Despite the win, Seattle batters fanned a total of 15 times.
- SEATTLE: 4
Jul 20 10:08 PM
- Michael Saunders doubled to center scoring Justin Smoak and Mike Zunino with two out. Runner on second and Brad Miller due up.
Mariners 4, Astros 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 20 9:25 PM
- With Raul Ibanez batting, Brad Miller scored on a Jason Castro passed ball with two out. None on and Raul Ibanez at the plate.
Mariners 2, Astros 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 20 8:57 PM
- Nick Franklin sacrifice fly to center scored Michael Saunders with two out. On the play, Brad Miller advances to third. Runner on third and Raul Ibanez due up.
Mariners 1, Astros 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 20 8:53 PM
- Jason Castro singled to short scoring Jake Elmore with two out. Runner on first and Chris Carter due up.
Mariners 0, Astros 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 20 8:42 PM
- Jose Altuve sacrifice fly to right scored Matt Dominguez with two out. On the play, Jake Elmore advances to third. Runner on third and Jason Castro due up.
Mariners 0, Astros 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 20 8:36 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 20 7:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Mariners SS Ketel Marte leaves game with sprained thumb May 21