Hernandez, Franklin lead Mariners in sweep of AstrosJul 22, 2013 - 4:01 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Nick Franklin punctuated a seven-run second inning with his first career grand slam, spotting Seattle ace Felix Hernandez an early sizeable lead that wound up becoming a 12-5 rout of the Houston Astros at Minute Maid Park.
Dustin Ackley, Michael Saunders and Brad Miller each had two RBI for the Mariners, who swept this three-game set while extending their season-high winning streak to six games.
Hernandez (11-4) lowered his American League-best ERA to 2.43 after scattering four hits -- all singles -- and striking out seven over six innings.
"They made him work, but he did a good job of making pitches," Mariners manager Eric Wedge said of Hernandez.
Houston starter Jordan Lyles (4-4) was tagged for 10 runs -- nine earned -- on eight hits and two walks in four-plus innings.
"It was the snowball effect from the get go," said Lyles. "I was missing around the zone, wasn't quite hitting the target. Just a little bit off, really just came down to fastball command."
Seattle's second-inning surge came after shortstop Jake Elmore booted a potential double-play ball off the bat of Kyle Seager. Instead of the bases being empty, Kendrys Morales, who led off with a single, and Seager were aboard. Justin Smoak was the next batter and went down swinging, magnifying the error because that may have been the third out.
Things completely unraveled for Lyles from that point. Following a walk to Saunders that loaded the bases, Ackley and Miller supplied run-scoring singles around a hit batsman before Franklin drove a Lyles pitch out to right field.
Lyles gave up an RBI single to Morales in the fifth, then loaded the bases by hitting Seager in front of a Smoak single. Lucas Harrell took over on the mound and didn't allow a hit the remainder of the inning. However, the Mariners were able to score two more runs on a fielder's choice and an Ackley sacrifice fly.
Miller added an RBI single in the seventh to put Seattle up 11-0 and Saunders doubled home Brendan Ryan in the eighth to make it 12-1.
The Astros put up a four-spot in the ninth against the Seattle bullpen.
Hernandez is 6-0 in his last 10 outings since a loss to Texas on May 25 ... Ackley had three hits ... Saunders extended his hitting streak to 10 games ... The Mariners were 7-for-14 with runners in scoring position ... Following the game, the Astros designated infielders Carlos Pena and Ronny Cedeno for assignment and recalled shortstop Jonathan Villar from Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- SEATTLE: 12
Jul 21 5:45 PM
- Jason Castro struck out, but advances to first on a Danny Farquhar wild pitch. On the play, Brandon Barnes and Jake Elmore scored on Henry Blanco's throwing error with two out. Runner on first and Chris Carter due up.
Mariners 12, Astros 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 21 5:44 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt Dominguez sacrifice fly to right scored Justin Maxwell with two out. On the play, Brandon Barnes advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jason Castro due up.
Mariners 12, Astros 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 21 5:39 PM
- Brandon Barnes single to right scored J.D. Martinez with none out. On the play, Justin Maxwell advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jake Elmore due up.
Mariners 12, Astros 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 21 5:25 PM
- Michael Saunders double to left scored Brendan Ryan with two out. On the play, Justin Smoak advances to third. Runners on second and third and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 12, Astros 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 21 4:57 PM
- Jose Altuve single to left scored Jake Elmore with two out. Runner on first and Brett Wallace due up.
Mariners 11, Astros 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 21 4:46 PM
- Brad Miller single to center scored Michael Saunders with two out. On the play, Henry Blanco advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nick Franklin due up.
Mariners 11, Astros 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 21 4:34 PM
- Dustin Ackley sacrifice fly to left scored Kyle Seager with two out. Runner on first and Henry Blanco due up.
Mariners 10, Astros 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 21 3:45 PM
- Michael Saunders grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Kendrys Morales with one out. Justin Smoak out at second. Kyle Seager advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 9, Astros 0 Top 5, 1 OutJul 21 3:43 PM
- Kendrys Morales single to center scored Raul Ibanez with none out. Runner on first and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 8, Astros 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 21 3:33 PM
- Nick Franklin one-out, Grand Slam (7) to right scored Dustin Ackley, Henry Blanco and Brad Miller. Raul Ibanez due up.
Mariners 7, Astros 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 21 2:42 PM
- Brad Miller single to left scored Michael Saunders with one out. On the play, Henry Blanco advances to second and Dustin Ackley advances to third. Bases loaded and Nick Franklin due up.
Mariners 3, Astros 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 21 2:42 PM
- Henry Blanco was hit-by-pitch scoring Kyle Seager with one out. Bases loaded and Brad Miller due up.
Mariners 2, Astros 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 21 2:39 PM
- Dustin Ackley infield single to short scored Kendrys Morales with one out. On the play, Michael Saunders advances to second and Kyle Seager advances to third. Bases loaded and Henry Blanco due up.
Mariners 1, Astros 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 21 2:37 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 21 2:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Mariners SS Ketel Marte leaves game with sprained thumb May 21