Crisp's homer lifts A's over AstrosJul 25, 2013 - 2:55 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Coco Crisp's two-run homer in the seventh inning lifted the Oakland Athletics over the Houston Astros, 4-3, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
John Jaso added a solo homer for the Athletics, who went 3-3 on a six-game road trip. Eric Sogard had an RBI and a run scored.
Oakland starter A.J. Griffin (9-7) allowed three runs on six hits while striking out eight over 6 1/3 innings.
Carlos Corporan and Jose Altuve homered for the Astros, who went 1-5 on a six- game homestand.
Bud Norris got the start for Houston and gave up three runs on four hits while striking out seven over 6 1/3 innings. Travis Blackley (1-1) gave up the homer to Crisp to take the loss.
"I felt like Bud was outstanding," said Astros manager Bo Porter. "His slider was unbelievably sharp; great command of his fastball in and out. He battled and pitched like a No. 1 starter."
Jaso's homer to left in the first gave the A's an early lead.
Altuve's solo homer to left in the fourth made it a 1-1 game.
Houston tacked on two more runs in the sixth to go in front. Jason Castro doubled to right and scored on Corporan's two-out homer to right.
Oakland responded with three runs in the seventh. Seth Smith walked and raced home on Sogard's double to left. Blackley came in from the bullpen and Crisp greeted him with a blast over the wall in left.
"It's always nice to win in any kind of fashion," said Crisp. "I don't think we rely on home runs. We just go up there and battle, and it just so happened that this is how this series broke down. We're always just trying to manufacture any runs we can."
The Astros put men on first and second with one out in the eighth. After Corporan flied out for the second out, Ryan Cook entered the game for Oakland. Brett Wallace flied out to end the inning.
Cook tossed a perfect ninth to pick up his second save of the season.
The A's have lost just twice in their 18 all-time meetings against Houston ... Griffin improved to 2-0 lifetime versus Houston ... Oakland selected the contract of infielder Adam Rosales from Triple-A Sacramento and designated infielder Vinnie Catricala for assignment.
- OAKLAND: 4
Jul 24 5:24 PM
- Coco Crisp one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Eric Sogard. John Jaso is due up.
Athletics 4, Astros 3 Top 7, 1 OutJul 24 4:20 PM
- Eric Sogard doubled to left scoring Seth Smith. Runner on second with one out and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 2, Astros 3 Top 7, 1 OutJul 24 4:15 PM
- Carlos Corporan two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Jason Castro. Brett Wallace is due up.
Athletics 1, Astros 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 24 4:03 PM
- Jose Altuve lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Jason Castro is due up.
Athletics 1, Astros 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 24 3:18 PM
- John Jaso one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Josh Donaldson is due up.
Athletics 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 24 2:17 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 2:14 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21