Dozier gives Twins win over Astros in 13 inningsAug 3, 2013 - 5:09 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Brian Dozier drove in the winning run in the 13th inning as the Minnesota Twins took a 4-3 victory over the Houston Astros to open a three-game set.
Clete Thomas worked a one-out walk off Dallas Keuchel (5-6) and moved to second on Kevin Correia's sacrifice bunt. Dozier then punched a single to right and Thomas scored easily.
Dozier had three hits and two RBI while Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau each drove in a run for the Twins, who snapped a four-game losing streak.
Ryan Pressly (3-2) pitched two scoreless innings to get the win while Samuel Deduno was charged with two runs on four hits over six innings in the start.
Jason Castro drove in two runs and Matt Dominguez had an RBI for the Astros, who have lost seven of nine. Jarred Cosart gave up a run on five hits over seven innings in the start.
Minnesota got the first run of the game in the third as Thomas led off with a single, moved to third on a Pedro Florimon single, and crossed the plate thanks to Mauer's sacrifice fly.
Houston, though, went ahead in the fifth. With two outs Robbie Grossman, Jonathan Villar and Jake Elmore worked walks to load the bases and Castro followed that with a single to chase home two for a 2-1 lead.
In the eighth with Jose Cisnero on the mound, Dozier led off with a double and moved to third on Mauer's groundout. Morneau then singled to right to tie the game.
Houston went back on top in the ninth as L.J. Hoes hit a one-out, pinch-hit single and came home when Dominguez followed with a double off the wall in left. Dominguez, though, was nailed at third on the play and Brandon Barnes grounded out to end the inning.
With Josh Fields on the mound to close the game, Chris Colabello worked a leadoff walk and Doug Bernier came on to run, moving to second on Thomas' sac bunt.
Chia-Jen Lo then uncorked a wild pitch, allowing Bernier to take third, and Chris Herrmann worked a walk. Dozier then punched a single to center to tie the game. Mauer hit into a fielder's choice and Morneau popped out to send the game to extras.
Cosart has given up one earned run or less in each of his first four starts. His earned run average is at 0.96 ... Minnesota stranded 13 men on base after going 3-for-12 with runners in scoring position ... Houston took two of three the last time these teams met, in 2009.
- HOUSTON: 3
Aug 3 12:45 AM
- Brian Dozier single to right scored Clete Thomas with two out to end the game.
Astros 3, Twins 4 Bot 13, 2 OutsAug 3 12:42 AM
- Brian Dozier single to center scored pinch-runner Doug Bernier with one out. On the play, Chris Herrmann advances to second. Runners on first and second and Joe Mauer due up.
Astros 3, Twins 3 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 2 11:25 PM
- Matt Dominguez doubled to left scored L.J. Hoes with one out. On the play, Matt Dominguez was thrown out at third, center to short to catcher to third. None on with two outs and Brandon Barnes due up.
Astros 3, Twins 2 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 2 11:08 PM
- Justin Morneau single to right scored Brian Dozier with one out. Runner on first and Ryan Doumit due up.
Astros 2, Twins 2 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 2 10:43 PM
- Jason Castro single to center scored Robbie Grossman and Jonathan Villar with two out. On the play, Jake Elmore advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 2, Twins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 2 9:45 PM
- Joe Mauer sacrifice fly to center scored Clete Thomas with two out. Runner on first and Justin Morneau due up.
Astros 0, Twins 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 2 9:09 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 8:13 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21