Lavarnway overcomes 4 passed balls, drives in go-ahead runAug 7, 2013 - 6:42 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Ryan Lavarnway went from a putrid start behind the plate to driving in the go-ahead run in the fifth inning, and the Boston Red Sox went on to pound the Houston Astros, 15-10, in the middle test of three games at Minute Maid Park.
Lavarnway allowed four passed balls in the first inning while catching starter Steven Wright, but atoned for his mistakes with a two-out double to left- center field to give the Red Sox their first lead at 8-7.
Houston scored three runs in that first inning and held a 7-3 lead after four, but Jordan Lyles (4-6) couldn't protect it, yielding five runs in the fifth and eight in all to drop his fifth straight decision.
The Red Sox, winners in eight of 11, received a pinch-hit three-run homer from Jonny Gomes in the sixth to cap another five-run inning. Jacoby Ellsbury had a pair of homers, while David Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia knocked in two runs apiece.
"A lot of good things are going on around here," said Ortiz. "We've got guys coming in here hungry everyday and try to make things happen."
Wright's first start of his career lasted just one inning, as he struggled to command his knuckleball. Brandon Workman (2-1) wasn't exactly effective in relief -- charged with six runs in 4 2/3 innings -- but still got the win.
Boston erased its four-run deficit by starting off the fifth with a bang. Its first four batters reached base and scored a pair of runs on back-to-back doubles from Shane Victorino and Pedroia.
Mike Carp pulled the Red Sox within 7-6 by knocking in Pedroia from third with a groundout. A wild pitch from Lyles preceded a walk to Stephen Drew, and with runners at the corners, Lavarnway cleared the bags to put the visitors ahead.
"Offense came up tonight, put up some big numbers and I just let it go," said Lyles. "I made the bullpen throw a lot of innings. It was just a tough game to watch for a lot of people."
The Red Sox then created some breathing room an inning later when they again put their first four batters on base. Pedroia and Ortiz each had RBI singles and Gomes made it 13-7 with a three-run homer later in the frame.
Two of Lavarnway's passed balls resulted in scoring plays in the first inning. Robbie Grossman's two-run homer for Houston in the second inning gave the hosts a 5-0 lead. He knocked in his third run in the home sixth and Jose Altuve added an RBI as well to make 13-9, but the Astros never came closer.
Ellsbury clubbed his second homer to start the seventh and Gomes recorded his fourth RBI with a bases loaded single to give Boston a comfortable six-run cushion.
Lavarnway's four passed balls tied an MLB record. The feat has occurred three times since 1900, with the last happening in August 22, 1987 when Geno Petralli caught Texas pitcher Charlie Hough ... Ortiz went 4-for-4 and Victorino had three hits with four runs scored ... Brett Wallace homered and knocked in two runs for the Astros, losers in five of their last six games ... Houston shortstop Jonathan Villar went 2-for-2 with an RBI, but injured his thumb in the sixth and was replaced by Jake Elmore, who hit a solo homer in the eighth ... Boston matched last season's win total (69) with the victory on Tuesday ... The Red Sox are 12-3 all-time against the Astros ... Gomes tied a franchise record with his fourth pinch-hit home run of the season.
- BOSTON: 15
Aug 7 12:05 AM
- Jake Elmore one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Robbie Grossman due up.
Red Sox 15, Astros 10 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 6 11:46 PM
- Jonny Gomes singled to left scoring Shane Victorino. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to second and David Ortiz advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Stephen Drew due up.
Red Sox 15, Astros 9 Top 7, 1 OutAug 6 11:21 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury lead off Home Run 2 (7) to right. Shane Victorino due up.
Red Sox 14, Astros 9 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 6 11:05 PM
- Jose Altuve grounded out second to first scoring Jake Elmore. On the play, Brandon Barnes advances to second and Robbie Grossman advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Jason Castro due up.
Red Sox 13, Astros 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 6 10:57 PM
- Robbie Grossman singled to center scoring L.J. Hoes. On the play, Jake Elmore advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brandon Barnes due up.
Red Sox 13, Astros 8 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 6 10:55 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jonny Gomes one-out, three-run Home Run (9) to left scoring David Ortiz and Mike Napoli. Stephen Drew due up.
Red Sox 13, Astros 7 Top 6, 1 OutAug 6 10:39 PM
- David Ortiz singled to short scoring Shane Victorino. On the play, David Ortz advances to second and Dustin Pedroia advances to third.on a Jonathan Villar throwing error. Runners on second and third with none out and Mike Napoli due up.
Red Sox 10, Astros 7 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 6 10:30 PM
- Dustin Pedroia singled to center scoring Jacoby Ellsbury. On the play, Shane Victorino advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 9, Astros 7 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 6 10:30 PM
- Ryan Lavarnway doubled to left scoring David Ortiz and Stephen Drew. Runner on second with two outs and Brock Holt due up.
Red Sox 8, Astros 7 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 6 10:03 PM
- Mike Carp grounded out to first scoring Dustin Pedroia. On the play, David Ortiz advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Stephen Drew due up.
Red Sox 6, Astros 7 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 6 9:58 PM
- Dustin Pedroia doubled to right scoring Shane Victorino. Runner on second with none out and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 5, Astros 7 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 6 9:56 PM
- Shane Victorino doubled to right. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury scored on L.J. Hoes's throwing error. Runner on second with none out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 4, Astros 7 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 6 9:53 PM
- Jonathan Villar singled to center scoring L.J. Hoes. Runner on first with none out and Robbie Grossman due up.
Red Sox 3, Astros 7 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 6 9:39 PM
- Brett Wallace two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Matt Dominguez due up.
Red Sox 3, Astros 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 6 9:23 PM
- David Ortiz singled to right scoring Shane Victorino. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Mike Napoli due up.
Red Sox 3, Astros 5 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 6 9:13 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right center scored Brock Holt. Shane Victorino due up.
Red Sox 2, Astros 5 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 6 9:07 PM
- Robbie Grossman one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scoring Jonathan Villar. Brandon Barnes due up.
Red Sox 0, Astros 5 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 6 8:57 PM
- Brett Wallace grounded out second to first scoring Jason Castro. On the play, Marc Krauss advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Matt Dominguez due up.
Red Sox 0, Astros 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 6 8:39 PM
- Brandon Barnes scored on a Ryan Lavarnway passed ball.. None on with one out and Jason Castro at the plate.
Red Sox 0, Astros 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 6 8:31 PM
- Brandon Barnes advances to third and Robbie Grossman scored on a Ryan Lavarnway passed ball. Runner on third with none out and Jose Altuve at the plate.
Red Sox 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 6 8:28 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 6 8:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21