Drew helps Boston rally over HoustonAug 8, 2013 - 7:17 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Stephen Drew cracked a go-ahead three-run homer in the ninth and the Boston Red Sox rallied for a second straight day to defeat the Houston Astros, 7-5, and claim the rubber match of a three-game set.
Drew stepped to the plate after Josh Fields (1-2) gave up David Ortiz's fourth hit of the day and a walk to Jonny Gomes, and sent a no-doubter into the right field seats to put the Red Sox in front.
The homer allowed Boston to sidestep a 1-for-11 performance with runners in scoring position and claim its ninth win in 12 games.
"I think it just sends a message to the other teams that we're going to grind it out until the last out," said Gomes.
The Astros held a five-run lead on Tuesday before losing 15-10, and failed to maintain a three-run edge in Wednesday's series finale. Robbie Grossman went 2-for-4 with a two-run homer in the team's sixth defeat in seven games.
Koji Uehara tossed a scoreless ninth for Boston to preserve his 11th save.
Gomes clubbed a two-run shot with two outs in the seventh and Junichi Tazawa (5-3) tossed two perfect innings in relief to keep it a one-run game and the Red Sox within striking distance.
Grossman erased the Astros early two-run deficit with his second homer in as many days, socking an offering from Red Sox starter Ryan Dempster over the right field wall in the home half of the third to tie the score at 2-2.
The Red Sox failed to score in the top of the sixth after Jacoby Ellsbury and Shane Victorino each struck out with the bases loaded, and the Astros broke through off Dempster in the home half of the frame to go on top 5-2.
Grossman doubled to begin the inning and scored on Jose Altuve's out-one base hit that deflected off the glove of Brock Holt at third. Jason Castro then ripped a double into the right field corner and Altuve beat the throw home, which allowed Castro to go to third and he scored on a Marc Krauss sac fly.
Astros starter Jarred Cosart, who entered with a 0.96 ERA in his first four starts, allowed two runs despite five walks and seven hits in five plus frames.
"Walks are going to happen, I just had too many walks here and there," said Cosart. "You've got to make your biggest pitch out of the stretch before it's a reoccurring theme and keep your team in the game. That's the starter's job."
Holt gave the Sox a 1-0 lead with an RBI groundout in the first. Dustin Pedroia and Ortiz each singled in the third to put runners at the corners, and Boston went up 2-0 when Pedroia scored while Ortiz was caught in a run down on Mike Carp's eventual inning-ending double play ball.
Victorino was ejected during the Red Sox seventh turn at the plate for arguing with the third base umpire regarding his check-swing strikeout in the sixth inning ... Boston is 13-3 all-time against Houston ... Dempster was charged with five runs on seven hits over six innings ... Houston manager Bo Porter was ejected for the first time in his career in the ninth inning ... Grossman has a 10-game hitting streak ... Prior to the game, the Astros selected the contract of pitcher Jorge De Leon from Triple-A Oklahoma City and optioned pitcher Jose Cisnero to Oklahoma City.
- BOSTON: 7
Aug 8 12:03 AM
- Stephen Drew one-out, three-run Home Run (9) to right scored Drake Britton and Jonny Gomes. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 7, Astros 5 Top 9, 1 OutAug 7 11:46 PM
- Jonny Gomes two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Mike Carp. Stephen Drew due up.
Red Sox 4, Astros 5 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 7 10:47 PM
- Marc Krauss sacrifice fly scored Jason Castro with two out. None on and Brett Wallace due up.
Red Sox 2, Astros 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 7 10:32 PM
- Jason Castro double scored Jose Altuve with one out. On the play, Castro advanced to third on the throw. Runner on third and Marc Krauss due up.
Red Sox 2, Astros 4 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 7 10:31 PM
- Jose Altuve infield single scored Robbie Grossman with one out. Runner on first and Jason Castro due up.
Red Sox 2, Astros 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 7 10:26 PM
- Robbie Grossman one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Jake Elmore. Brandon Barnes due up.
Red Sox 2, Astros 2 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 7 9:07 PM
- Mike Carp's double play scored Dustin Pedroia with two out. On the play, David Ortiz was tagged out at first to end the inning.
Red Sox 2, Astros 0 Mid 3Aug 7 9:02 PM
- Brock Holt ground out scored Jonny Gomes with two out. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to third. Runner on third with Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 1, Astros 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 7 8:42 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 8:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21