Rios helps Texas top Houston in Rangers debutAug 11, 2013 - 5:48 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Alex Rios wasted no time making a good impression on his new teammates.
With Texas trailing by a run entering the eighth inning, Rios tripled home Engel Beltre to tie the game. Rios then beat Jose Altuve's throw to the plate on a Mitch Moreland grounder to score the winning run as the Rangers edged the Houston Astros, 5-4, in the second of a four-game set at Minute Maid Park.
Rios was acquired from the Chicago White Sox on Friday for a player to be named later and cash considerations. He finished 2-for-3 in his Texas debut.
"It gives me a little bit of confidence and motivation," Rios said. "Everybody in this clubhouse wants to win. Any way any of us can contribute is a big thing. It's a big thing for me."
Elvis Andrus cracked his first homer of the season, a two-run blast to left in the seventh, and A.J. Pierzynski added a solo blast for the Rangers, who have won six straight and 11 of their last 12 games overall.
Jason Frasor (3-2) earned the win despite giving up a run in the seventh inning and Joe Nathan worked a scoreless ninth to nail down his 34th save of the season.
Lucas Harrell (5-13) was pegged with the loss after giving up the go-ahead run.
The Astros jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first. With one on and two out, Altuve ripped a double to center field to score L.J. Hoes.
Chris Carter crushed a tape-measure shot over the train tracks in left field to open the fourth, giving Houston a 2-0 edge.
Pierzynski's solo shot in the sixth made it 2-1, but Matt Dominguez's sacrifice fly in the home half made it a two-run game.
Jurickson Profar reached on Jake Elmore's fielding error in the seventh and three batters later Andrus clobbered a two-run shot to left to tie the game.
"When you give a team extra outs, especially a team that has a good offense like the Rangers, you put yourself at more risk of giving up runs," Houston manager Bo Porter remarked.
Brandon Barnes scored on Frasor's wild pitch in the seventh to put Houston back on top.
Texas was just 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position ... Texas starter Derek Holland was charged with three runs on six hits over six innings. He struck out six and walked two ... Houston pitcher Brad Peacock gave up a run on three hits in six innings ... Andrus homered for the first time since Sept. 4, 2012 ... Houston was 1-for-8 with RISP ... Carter has 20 homers this season ... Game time: 3:26.
- TEXAS: 5
Aug 10 10:39 PM
- Mitch Moreland reached on a fielder's choice, catcher to short. On the play, Alex Rios scored on Jason Castro's missed catch error with two out. Mitch Moreland out attempting to advance to second. None on and Jurickson Profar due up.
Rangers 5, Astros 4 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 10 10:09 PM
- Alex Rios triple to center scored pinch-runner Engel Beltre with one out. Runner on third and Mitch Moreland due up.
Rangers 4, Astros 4 Top 8, 1 OutAug 10 9:58 PM
- Brandon Barnes scored and L.J. Hoes advances to third on a Jason Frasor wild pitch with two out. Runner on third and Jose Altuve at the plate.
Rangers 3, Astros 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 10 9:49 PM
- Elvis Andrus two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Jurickson Profar. Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 3, Astros 3 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 10 9:29 PM
- Matt Dominguez sacrifice fly to right scored Jose Altuve with one out. Runners on first and second and Brett Wallace due up.
Rangers 1, Astros 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 10 9:16 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Alex Rios due up.
Rangers 1, Astros 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 10 8:59 PM
- Chris Carter lead-off Home Run (20) to left. Matt Dominguez due up.
Rangers 0, Astros 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 10 8:32 PM
- Jose Altuve double to center scored L.J. Hoes with two out. Runner on second and Jason Castro due up.
Rangers 0, Astros 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 10 8:12 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 7:11 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21