Rangers push streak to 8 behind Darvish's gemAug 12, 2013 - 9:28 PM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Yu Darvish flirted with a no-hitter as the streaking Texas Rangers edged the Houston Astros, 2-1.
Darvish (12-5) didn't allow a hit until Carlos Corporan launched a home run to right field with one out in the eighth inning.
The right-hander retired the first 17 batters he faced before issuing a walk in the sixth. Darvish, who recorded a career-high 15 strikeouts, was one out shy of a perfect game against Houston on April 2.
"It was pretty much similar stuff. Again, you are talking about a guy who has number one starter stuff and knows how to use it," said Houston manager Bo Porter in reference to Darvish's outing in April. "He doesn't just have control, he has command."
Joe Nathan picked up his 35th save of the season with a perfect ninth.
Adrian Beltre went 3-for-4 with a double and an RBI for the Rangers, who have won eight straight games and nine of 10 on their road trip.
Houston starter Brett Oberholtzer (2-1) allowed two runs before exiting the game after 6 2/3 innings of work. He gave up seven hits and fanned six.
Texas' four-game sweep pushed the Astros' skid to six.
The Rangers picked up both of their runs in the first inning on three two-out hits. Ian Kinsler kept the frame alive with a double to left before being brought home on a Beltre double to center field. A.J. Pierzynski hit a soft liner that dropped into center to score Beltre.
After retiring 17 straight batters, Darvish had his bid for a perfect game denied in the sixth when he gave up a walk to Jonathan Villar. Pierzynski was thrown out of the game after arguing a questionable pitch that could've resulted in a strikeout to end the inning before Darvish threw ball four. Geovany Soto entered the game to take his place at catcher.
Darvish has won three consecutive starts ... Texas (9-1) claimed the best winning percentage on a road trip of seven or more games in team history ... The Rangers leads season series, 11-2.
- TEXAS: 2
Aug 12 4:47 PM
- Carlos Corporan one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right to break up Yu Darvish's no-hitter. Brandon Barnes due up.
Rangers 2, Astros 1 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 12 4:24 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski single to center scored Adrian Beltre with two out. Runner on first and Alex Rios due up.
Rangers 2, Astros 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 12 2:20 PM
- Adrian Beltre double to left scored Ian Kinsler with two out. Runner on second and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Rangers 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 12 2:19 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 2:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21