Astros rip AngelsAug 17, 2013 - 6:25 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Carter hit a three-run home run and drove in five as the Houston Astros took an 8-2 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim to open a three-game set.
Matt Dominguez went 3-for-5 with a solo home run while L.J. Hoes also had three hits and scored a run for the Astros, who have won three of their last four.
Brad Peacock (2-4) got his first win since April 10 as he gave up just two unearned runs on four hits with two walks and five strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings.
"He used his changed up well, he had a great pace, he did a tremendous job," Houston manager Bo Porter said of Peacock.
Hank Conger and Grant Green each drove in a run for the Angels, who have lost five of six. Jerome Williams (5-9) dropped his seventh straight decision as he gave up three runs on five hits with four walks in just 4 1/3 innings of work.
"What's hurting Jerome is his command, he's behind in counts," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.
This game stayed scoreless until the Astros went on top in the fifth inning. Hoes led off with a double and Jonathan Villar followed with a bunt single. Robbie Grossman then singled in the first run and Jose Altuve walked two batters later to load the bases. A Jason Castro walk and Carter sacrifice fly scored two more runs for a 3-0 lead.
The Angels got one back in the bottom of the fifth as Erick Aybar reached second to start the inning on a single and a bad throw from Altuve, moved to third on a Chris Nelson fly out, then scored on a Conger groundout.
In the seventh, Houston added to its lead as Brett Wallace led off with a double and later scored on a Carter single for a 4-1 advantage.
The bottom of the inning saw the Angels again make it a two-run game as Nelson reached base with one out on a fielding error by Villar, moved to third on Conger's double, and scored thanks to a single from Green.
Josh Zeid then took the mound and induced a 5-4-3 double play from Peter Bourjos to escape the jam.
Zeid got the first two outs of the eighth inning before giving up a single to Mike Trout and handing the ball off to Kevin Chapman, who got Josh Hamilton to pop out and end the frame.
A three-run homer by Carter was followed by a solo shot from Dominguez in the ninth for an 8-2 lead for Houston.
Houston has won eight of the 14 games against the Angels this season ... The Astros left 10 men on base, but did go 4-for-15 with runners in scoring position ... Williams hasn't won a game since June 12 as he has appeared in 12 games, the last 11 of which have been starts ... Dallas Keuchel pitches for Houston on Saturday, while the Angels will turn to Garrett Richards.
- HOUSTON: 8
LOS ANGELES: 2
Aug 17 1:56 AM
- Matt Dominguez one-out, solo Home Run (15) to left. Brandon Barnes due up.
Astros 8, Angels 2 Top 9, 1 OutAug 17 1:39 AM
- Chris Carter one-out, three-run Home Run (23) to left center scored Jose Altuve and Jason Castro. Matt Dominguez due up.
Astros 7, Angels 2 Top 9, 1 OutAug 17 1:38 AM
- Grant Green single to left scored Chris Nelson with one out. On the play, Hank Conger advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Peter Bourjos due up.
Astros 4, Angels 2 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 17 12:53 AM
- Chris Carter single to center scored Brett Wallace with two out. Runner on first and Matt Dominguez due up.
Astros 4, Angels 1 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 17 12:33 AM
- Hank Conger ground out first to pitcher scored Erick Aybar with two out. None on and Grant Green due up.
Astros 3, Angels 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 16 11:56 PM
- Chris Carter sacrifice fly out to left scored Robbie Grossman with two out. Runners on first and second and Matt Dominguez due up.
Astros 3, Angels 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 16 11:45 PM
- Jason Castro walk scored Jonathan Villar with one out. Bases loaded and Chris Carter due up.
Astros 2, Angels 0 Top 5, 1 OutAug 16 11:40 PM
- Robbie Grossman single to right scored L.J. Hoes with none out. On the play, Jonathan Villar advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 1, Angels 0 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 16 11:29 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 16 10:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21