Hamilton homers in 10th to lift Halos over HoustonAug 18, 2013 - 5:56 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Josh Hamilton's game-winning solo homer in the bottom of the 10th inning lifted the LA Angels of Anaheim to a 6-5 win over the Houston Astros in the middle test of a three-game set.
Erick Aybar popped out to Jonathan Villar at shortstop before Hamilton smacked an 0-2 pitch from Josh Fields (1-3) over the wall in right-center for the walk-off win.
"He tried to throw me a curveball in the dirt and he left it up. I wasn't sure I got it and when I looked up it was a good feeling," Hamilton said of the homer.
Ernesto Frieri (1-4) struck out four over two scoreless innings to pick up the win.
Mark Trumbo cracked a solo shot and finished with three RBI for the Angels, who have won two of their last three contests on the heels of a four-game skid.
Brett Wallace belted a two-run homer among his three hits and registered three RBI for Houston, which had won three of its last four games coming in.
"The positive is that we were in position to win the ballgame, we swung the bats well," Astros manager Bo Porter said.
Trumbo's leadoff shot in the second opened the scoring before Houston plated a pair in the third. Wallace had an RBI single and with the bases loaded and none away a bit later in the frame, Villar came across to score when Jose Altuve grounded into a double play.
The Halos, though, answered with three two-out runs in the home third.
Collin Cowgill and Mike Trout singled before Trumbo brought them both home with a triple to right. Aybar stepped up next and doubled to plate Trumbo for a 4-2 LA edge.
The Astros countered with three runs in the fifth.
Robbie Grossman hit a one-out single before Wallace cracked a two-run shot to left. Altuve then singled and came home when Chris Carter doubled two batters later for a 5-4 Houston advantage.
Aybar's RBI single in the seventh tied the contest at 5-5.
Angels starter Garrett Richards allowed five runs on 12 hits over six-plus frames, while Houston starter Dallas Keuchel surrendered four runs on eight hits and three walks over four-plus innings.
- HOUSTON: 5
LOS ANGELES: 6
Aug 18 1:03 AM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, solo Home Run (18) to right to end the game.
Astros 5, Angels 6 Bot 10, 1 OutAug 18 12:59 AM
- Erick Aybar single to left scored Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Erik Aybar advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Josh Hamilton due up.
Astros 5, Angels 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 17 11:52 PM
- Chris Carter double to right scored Jose Altuve with two out. Runner on second and Matt Dominguez due up.
Astros 5, Angels 4 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 17 10:46 PM
- Brett Wallace one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Robbie Grossman. Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 4, Angels 4 Top 5, 1 OutAug 17 10:39 PM
- Erick Aybar double to center scored Mark Trumbo with two out. Runner on second and Josh Hamilton due up.
Astros 2, Angels 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 17 10:05 PM
- Mark Trumbo triple to right scored Collin Cowgill and Mike Trout with two out. Runner on third and Erick Aybar due up.
Astros 2, Angels 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 17 10:04 PM
- Jose Altuve grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Jonathan Villar with two out. Brett Wallace out at second. Robbie Grossman advances to third. Runner on third and Jason Castro due up.
Astros 2, Angels 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 17 9:51 PM
- Brett Wallace single to right scored L.J. Hoes with none out. On the play, Robbie Grossman advances to second and Jonathan Villar advances to third. Bases loaded and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 1, Angels 1 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 17 9:49 PM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (27) to center. Erick Aybar due up.
Astros 0, Angels 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 17 9:34 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 17 9:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21