Dominguez, Hoes power Astros past AngelsAug 19, 2013 - 5:58 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Dominguez went 4-for-5 with a three-run home run and two runs scored as the Houston Astros took a 7-5 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim to wrap up a three-game set.
L.J. Hoes was 3-for-4 with a solo homer and two runs scored, while Robbie Grossman and Jose Altuve each drove in a run for the Astros, who have won four of their last six. Brett Oberholtzer (3-1) gave up three runs on seven hits over six innings to pick up the win.
"I didn't have my best stuff today, but I told myself to bear down and get through it," said Oberholtzer.
Mark Trumbo hit a two-run home run and drove in three for the Angels, who have dropped six of their past eight games. Jason Vargas gave up three runs on seven hits in 5 1/3 innings, while J.C. Gutierrez (0-4) was handed the loss for allowing three runs in 1 2/3 frames.
"Jason didn't look in-synch but it's good he made it to the sixth," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "He competed and was able to work through some trouble there. Tip your cap to Houston, they outplayed us."
The game was tied in the seventh when the Astros went on top. With two on and two outs, Dominguez blasted a pitch over the wall in left for his 16th homer of the season and a 6-3 lead.
"I had a pretty good idea he was going to throw a slider and he left it over the plate," said Dominguez. "I hit it about as solid as I could hit it. I swung the bat pretty well today."
Houston added a run in the eighth on Altuve's sacrifice fly, while Trumbo cut the deficit to two in the bottom of the inning thanks to his two-run shot to left for his 28th homer of the year.
The Angels put runners on first and second with one out in the ninth, but Kevin Chapman took the mound and got Peter Bourjos to hit into a 4-6-3 double play to end the game and pick up his first career save.
Hoes hit a one-out homer in the first, the first round-tripper of his career, and it was 3-0 in the second as Marwin Gonzalez hit into a double play to score a run and Grossman followed with an RBI double.
Chris Nelson hit a sacrifice fly in the second to get the Angels on the board, and Trumbo doubled home a run in the third to make it a one-run game.
Josh Hamilton tied the game in the fourth as he led off the inning with his 19th home run of the season.
Angels center fielder Mike Trout left the game in the sixth inning with tightness in his right hamstring. He went 2-for-3 in the game to reach base for the 40th straight game, the longest current streak in the majors ... The Astros play three in Texas starting on Monday ... The Angels host the Indians for three games beginning Monday ... The Astros have won nine of the 16 games against the Angels this season.
- HOUSTON: 7
LOS ANGELES: 5
Aug 18 7:01 PM
- Mark Trumbo one-out, two-run Home Run (28) to left scored Kole Calhoun. Erick Aybar due up.
Astros 7, Angels 5 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 18 6:30 PM
- Jose Altuve sacrifice fly to left scored Jake Elmore with two out. Runners on first and second and Chris Carter due up.
Astros 7, Angels 3 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 18 6:21 PM
- Matt Dominguez two-out, three-run Home Run (16) to left scored L.J. Hoes and Carlos Corporan. Brandon Barnes due up.
Astros 6, Angels 3 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 18 5:59 PM
- Josh Hamilton lead-off Home Run (19) to center. Chris Nelson due up.
Astros 3, Angels 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 18 5:03 PM
- Mark Trumbo single to left scored Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Erick Aybar due up.
Astros 3, Angels 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 18 4:52 PM
- Chris Nelson sacrifice fly to right scored Josh Hamilton with one out. None on and Chris Iannetta due up.
Astros 3, Angels 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 18 4:15 PM
- Robbie Grossman double to left scored Brandon Barnes with two out. Runner on second and L.J. Hoes due up.
Astros 3, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 18 4:05 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez grounded into a double play, second to first scored Matt Dominguez with two out. Jake Elmore out at second. Brandon Barnes advances to third. Runner on third and Robbie Grossman due up.
Astros 2, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 18 4:04 PM
- L.J. Hoes one-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 18 3:40 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 18 3:38 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21