Rangers pound Astros for 16 runsAug 20, 2013 - 6:00 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - A.J. Pierzynski went 4-for-5 with a home run and four RBI, three of which came during an 11-run third inning, in Texas' 16-5 rout of the Houston Astros.
Ian Kinsler knocked in three runs and Leonys Martin finished 3-for-4 with two RBI and three runs scored.
The AL West leaders, who notched a season-high in runs, have scored 34 over their last three contests and have won 16 of their last 20 games. They've captured 17 of the last 20 matchups with Houston dating back to last season.
Matt Garza (3-1) had more than enough run support to win for the eighth time in his last nine decisions. He allowed eight hits and five runs, and struck out eight over 6 2/3 innings.
Lucas Harrell (6-14), who had worked out of the bullpen in his previous four games, was shelled for seven hits and nine runs -- seven earned -- over 2 1/3 innings in the start.
"It's a confidence-booster for me. I feel really good about the way I threw the ball," Harrell said. "The results were I gave up a lot of runs, but on the positive side I got back to getting ground balls. It's huge for me. That's what I need to do."
Robbie Grossman drove in two runs for the Astros, who fell to 5-13 this month.
Kinsler hit a sacrifice fly in the first inning to a leaping Grossman in center, and the Rangers pulled off a double-steal later in the frame for a 2-0 lead. With men at the corners, Pierzynski struck out swinging, but Elvis Andrus was running on the play from third. Catcher Carlos Corporan threw to second base, and shortstop Jonathan Villar made the catch well in front of the base, allowing Adrian Beltre to also steal.
"Andrus read the catcher. I didn't have a double-steal on," Rangers manager Ron Washington said.
Jason Castro and Chris Carter hit back-to-back doubles to start the second inning, but the Rangers sent 15 men to the plate in the third to take a commanding 13-1 lead.
Texas had just one extra-base hit, a two-run double from Mitch Moreland over the head of Grossman in center field. That extended the lead to 6-1, two batters after Pierzynski had a two-run ground single to right field.
Wade LeBlanc replaced Harrell with the bases full, and the Astros had a chance to escape the inning, but a costly error kept it going. David Murphy hit a grounder to second baseman Jose Altuve, who flipped the ball directly from his glove to Villar, but he dropped the ball, which allowed two runs to score.
Another miscue, this one by third baseman Matt Dominguez, plated another run. Kinsler tacked on a two-run base hit to left field, Beltre grounded out for a run and Pierzynski added his third RBI of the frame with a bloop single to left.
Every Texas player scored in the inning, which produced a season-high in runs.
Martin singled in a run in the fourth and added an RBI groundout in the sixth.
Grossman hit a two-run double during Houston's four-run seventh before Pierzynski homered to right off Philip Humber in the bottom of the inning to cap the scoring in the opener of this three-game set. It was Texas' first homer in the last five contests.
Jake Elmore replaced Corporan at catcher and later pitched and retired the side in order in the eighth.
Before the game, the Astros selected the contract of LeBlanc from Oklahoma City and optioned outfielder Marc Krauss to the Triple-A club ... The Rangers are 39-16 against teams in their own division ... Beltre has 18 RBI in his last 19 games ... With his appearance at catcher and pitcher, Elmore has been at every position in the field this season with the exception of center field.
- HOUSTON: 5
Aug 19 11:17 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski two-out, solo Home Run (14) to right. Alex Rios due up.
Astros 5, Rangers 16 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 19 10:56 PM
- Brett Wallace ground-rule doubled to left center scoring Robbie Grossman. Runner on second with two outs and Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Astros 5, Rangers 15 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 19 10:52 PM
- Robbie Grossman doubled to right scoring Jake Elmore and L.J. Hoes. Runner on second with two outs and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 4, Rangers 15 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 19 10:50 PM
- L.J. Hoes singled to center scoring Matt Dominguez. On the play, Jake Elmore advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jonathan Villar due up.
Astros 2, Rangers 15 Top 7, 1 OutAug 19 10:47 PM
- Leonys Martin grounded out second to first scoring Jurickson Profar. None on with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 15 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 19 10:28 PM
- Leonys Martin singled to right scoring David Murphy. Runner on first with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 14 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 19 9:51 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski singled to left scoring Ian Kinsler. Runner on first with two outs and Alex Rios due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 13 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 19 9:30 PM
- Adrian Beltre grounded out short to first scoring Elvis Andrus. Runner on second with two outs and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 12 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 19 9:30 PM
- Ian Kinsler singled to left scoring David Murphy and Leonys Martin. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 11 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 19 9:29 PM
- Elvis Andrus reached first on Matt Dominguez's fielding error scoring Jurickson Profar. On the play, Leonys Martin advances to second and David Murphy advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Ian Kinsler due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 9 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 19 9:26 PM
- David Murphy reached first on Jonathan Villar's fielding error scoring Alex Rios and Mitch Moreland. On the play, Jurickson Profar advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Leonys Martin due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 8 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 19 9:22 PM
- Mitch Moreland doubled to center scoring Adrian Beltre and A.J. Pierzynski. On the play, Alex Rios advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Jurickson Profar due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 6 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 19 9:16 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski singled to right scoring Leonys Martin and Elvis Andrus. On the play, Adrian Beltre advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Alex Rios due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 4 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 19 9:14 PM
- Chris Carter doubled to left scored Jason Castro. Runner on second with none out and Matt Dominguez due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 2 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 19 8:41 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski struck out swinging scored . On the play, Adrian Beltre stole second Elvis Andrus stole home. Runner on second with two outs and Alex Rios due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 19 8:32 PM
- Ian Kinsler sacrifice fly out to center scored Leonys Martin. On the play, Elvis Andrus advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Astros 0, Rangers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 19 8:26 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 19 8:10 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21