Beltre, Rangers edge AstrosAug 21, 2013 - 6:14 AM Arlington, TX (Sports Network) - Adrian Beltre clubbed the go-ahead two-run homer in the sixth inning and the Texas Rangers edged Houston, 4-2, to continue their domination of the Astros.
Travis Blackley, who was acquired from Houston in exchange for cash considerations on Aug. 14 after being designated for assignment by the Astros, allowed three hits and two runs over four innings in his Rangers debut.
Neal Cotts (5-2) had three strikeouts in 1 1/3 innings of relief for the AL West leaders, who have won 17 of their last 21 games overall. The Rangers have also beaten the Astros in 13 of the last 14 meetings.
Joe Nathan struck out the side in the ninth to pick up his 37th save.
Jarred Cosart (1-1) gave up more than two runs for the first time in his career. The right-hander, in his seventh major league start, allowed four hits and three runs over six innings.
"I was keeping them off balance," Cosart said. "A couple of guys buckled on curveballs. I threw it for a strike and they couldn't sit on one pitch. That helped me get through six, but Beltre kind of speaks for itself."
The Astros, who lost 16-5 on Monday in the opener of this three-game set, secured the early lead. Matt Dominguez belted a homer to left field with Chris Carter aboard in the second inning.
Beltre doubled to start the bottom half of the frame and scored on an Alex Rios single to third base.
Ian Kinsler walked with one out in the sixth and Beltre turned on a 1-1 pitch and homered to right field for the 3-2 lead.
"I'm getting lucky," Beltre said of his recent hot hitting that has seen him log 20 RBI since July 30.
Texas loaded the bases in the eighth before Elvis Andrus scored on a Josh Zeid wild pitch.
The Rangers put pitcher Alexi Ogando on the 15-day disabled list due to right shoulder inflammation. Pitcher Matt West was recalled from Single-A Myrtle Beach and then placed on the 60-day disabled list ... Houston put catcher Carlos Corporan on the 7-day concussion disabled list, designated pitcher Wade LeBlanc for assignment, and selected pitcher David Martinez from Oklahoma City. The Astros also selected the contract of catcher Max Stassi from Corpus Christi and he went 2-for-3, and recorded his first MLB hit with a single in the fifth inning ... The Rangers moved a season-high 20 games over .500 (73-53) ... Blackley made 42 relief appearances for Houston this season.
- HOUSTON: 2
Aug 20 11:14 PM
- Elvis Andrus scored on a wild pitch by Josh Zield with two outs. A.J. Pierzynski advances to second on a wild pitch. Ian Kinsler advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third and Alex Rios at the plate.
Astros 2, Rangers 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 20 11:07 PM
- Adrian Beltre one-out, two-run Home Run (26) to right scored Ian Kinsler. A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Astros 2, Rangers 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 20 10:24 PM
- Alex Rios single to third scored Adrian Beltre with one out. Runner on first and Mitch Moreland due up.
Astros 2, Rangers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 20 8:45 PM
- Matt Dominguez one-out, two-run Home Run (17) to left scored Chris Carter. Max Stassi due up.
Astros 2, Rangers 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 20 8:34 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21