Grossman, Astros pound Blue JaysAug 24, 2013 - 3:18 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Robbie Grossman hit a two-run home run and drove in four as the Houston Astros took a 12-4 win over the Toronto Blue Jays to open a three-game series.
L.J. Hoes, Matt Dominguez and Brett Wallace each scored three runs for the Astros, who had lost four of five coming into the contest. Jordan Lyles (6-6) gave up four runs on 10 hits over 7 1/3 innings to get the win.
Brett Lawrie hit a two-run homer, while Edwin Encarnacion and J.P. Arencibia added solo shots for the Blue Jays, who have dropped their past six games. Todd Redmond (1-2) was charged with eight runs -- seven earned -- on eight hits in 3 1/3 innings to take the loss.
The teams exchanged runs in the first inning as Encarnacion hit his 32nd home run of the season in the Toronto half, while Jose Altuve doubled home a run for Houston in the bottom half.
Dominguez led off the second with his 18th homer of the year and Houston made it a 3-1 game in the third as Hoes scored on an Altuve single that saw a bad throw from Redmond.
Toronto got one back in the fourth on Arencibia's 20th home run of the year, but the Astros blew the game open in the home half.
Brandon Barnes singled in a run with men on second and third, and Jonathan Villar followed with a two-run triple. Grossman followed with a sacrifice fly and Jason Castro later tripled to drive in another run for an 8-2 lead.
It was 10-2 in the fifth inning as Villar brought in a run on a double play, and Grossman singled in another runner.
Grossman's two-run home run in the seventh made it a 12-2 contest, while Lawrie's two-run shot in the eighth accounted for the final score.
Houston batted 6-for-15 with runners in scoring position ... The Blue Jays took three of four from the Astros in Toronto in late July ... Toronto placed pitcher Aaron Loup on the paternity list on Friday, while Houston placed catcher Max Stassi on the 7-day concussion disabled list and selected the contract of catcher Cody Clark from Double-A Corpus Christi.
- TORONTO: 4
Aug 23 11:05 PM
- Brett Lawrie one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Adam Lind. J.P. Arencibia due up.
Blue Jays 4, Astros 12 Top 8, 1 OutAug 23 10:38 PM
- Robbie Grossman two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left center scored Brett Wallace. L.J. Hoes due up.
Blue Jays 2, Astros 12 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 23 10:31 PM
- Robbie Grossman single to right scored Brett Wallace with two out. Runner on first and L.J. Hoes due up.
Blue Jays 2, Astros 10 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 23 10:00 PM
- Jonathan Villar grounded into a double play, short to first scored Matt Dominguez with two out. Brandon Barnes out at second. Brett Wallace advances to third. Runner on third and Robbie Grossman due up.
Blue Jays 2, Astros 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 23 9:58 PM
- Jason Castro triple to center scored L.J. Hoes with two out. Runner on third and Chris Carter due up.
Blue Jays 2, Astros 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 23 9:41 PM
- Robbie Grossman sacrifice fly to right scored Jonathan Villar with one out. None on and L.J. Hoes due up.
Blue Jays 2, Astros 7 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 23 9:34 PM
- Jonathan Villar triple to right scored Brett Wallace and Brandon Barnes with none out. Runner on third and Robbie Grossman due up.
Blue Jays 2, Astros 6 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 23 9:32 PM
- Brandon Barnes single to center scored Matt Dominguez with none out. On the play, Brett Wallace advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jonathan Villar due up.
Blue Jays 2, Astros 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 23 9:28 PM
- J.P. Arencibia one-out, solo Home Run (20) to left. Moises Sierra due up.
Blue Jays 2, Astros 3 Top 4, 1 OutAug 23 9:14 PM
- Jose Altuve infield single to pitcher. On the play, L.J. Hoes scored on Todd Redmond's throwing error with one out. On the play, Jose Altuve was thrown out at third, catcher to third. None on and Jason Castro due up.
Blue Jays 1, Astros 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 23 9:11 PM
- Matt Dominguez lead-off Home Run (18) to left. Brett Wallace due up.
Blue Jays 1, Astros 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 23 8:43 PM
- Jose Altuve double to left scored L.J. Hoes with one out. Runner on second and Jason Castro due up.
Blue Jays 1, Astros 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 23 8:26 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion two-out, solo Home Run (32) to right. Adam Lind due up.
Blue Jays 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 23 8:17 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 8:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Blue Jays-Twins Preview May 21