Mariners snap six-game skid, edge AstrosAug 30, 2013 - 7:07 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Franklin Gutierrez had a two-run home run and Nick Franklin also went deep, as the Seattle Mariners snapped a six-game losing streak with a 3-2 win over the Houston Astros.
Erasmo Ramirez (5-1) gave up two runs on five hits while fanning seven and walking two over 5 2/3 innings for the Mariners.
"Erasmo did a great job tonight. He pounded the strike zone and threw strikes when he needed to. Overall we did really well," said Franklin.
Brett Wallace had a home run while Jason Castro drove in the other run for the Astros, who have lost three straight.
Jordan Lyles (6-7) gave up all three runs on four hits and a pair of walks over six frames in the opener of this four-game series.
"I wasn't getting that down action on my pitches. I had a lot of fly outs and the outfielders did a heck of a job out there running down balls," said Lyles.
Franklin got the Seattle offense going with his 12th homer of the year, a blast to left, in the first inning.
In the fourth, Raul Ibanez hit a single to start the inning and Gutierrez clubbed a 1-0 pitch over the left field wall to give the Mariners a 3-0 lead.
Ramirez didn't allow a hit until L.J. Hoes started the fourth with a single to right. Two batters later, Castro doubled to center field to put the Astros on the board.
Wallace's leadoff homer to right in the fifth cut the deficit, but the Astros failed to tie the game after putting pressure on Ramirez in the sixth. Jose Altuve doubled and men were at the corners after Chris Carter walked. Charlie Furbush entered from the bullpen with two outs to retire Wallace on a fly ball to center.
Danny Farquhar worked around a leadoff walk in the ninth to notch his 10th save.
Seattle's top prospect Taijuan Walker will make his major league debut on Friday. He will start against Houston's Brad Peacock ... Gutierrez has homered four times over his last 11 games ... Farquhar is 10-for-11 in save opportunities ... The Mariners are 8-5 against the Astros this season, including 5-2 in Houston. They are 32-32 against intra-division teams ... Castro is on an eight-game hitting streak ... Both teams failed to record a hit with runners in scoring position.
- SEATTLE: 3
Aug 29 11:14 PM
- Brett Wallace lead-off Home Run (12) to right. Brandon Barnes due up.
Mariners 3, Astros 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 29 9:37 PM
- Jason Castro doubled to center scored L.J. Hoes. Runner on second with one out and Matt Dominguez due up.
Mariners 3, Astros 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 29 9:19 PM
- Franklin Gutierrez one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Raul Ibanez. Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 3, Astros 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 29 9:07 PM
- Nick Franklin one-out, solo Home Run (12) to left. Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 29 8:14 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 29 8:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Mariners SS Ketel Marte leaves game with sprained thumb May 21