Mariners down AstrosAug 31, 2013 - 6:13 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Dustin Ackley went 4-for-5 with four RBI and a run scored as the Seattle Mariners took a 7-1 win over the Houston Astros in the second of a four-game set.
Abraham Almonte drove in two runs, while Taijuan Walker (1-0) got the win in his first career start after giving up just one unearned run on two hits with a walk and two strikeouts in five innings for the Mariners, who have taken the first two games of this set after dropping six straight.
"It was a lot of fun," Walker said of his first career win. "I'm glad the first one is out of the way. The first hitter, I was really nervous. But after that I got more comfortable as the game went on."
Walker was the Mariners' first pick of the 2010 draft and he spent time in Double-A and Triple-A this season, going 9-10 in the two leagues.
L.J. Hoes had two hits while Jonathan Villar scored the only run of the game for the Astros, who have lost four straight. Brad Peacock (3-5) was charged with five runs on seven hits with four walks in 4 2/3 innings.
"He just didn't have his offspeed stuff working tonight," Astros manager Bo Porter said of Peacock. "He forced himself into some fastball counts and they put some good swings on it."
Houston scored a run in the third inning when Villar doubled and crossed the plate on a missed catch by Justin Smoak on a Robbie Grossman offering, but the Mariners surged ahead in the fourth.
With two on and one out, Ackley smacked a single to right to plate a run, and Almonte hit into a fielder's choice for a 2-1 lead.
The Mariners made it a 5-1 game in the fifth as Kyle Seager hit a one-run single, and Ackley added a two-run basehit later in the frame.
Almonte's RBI single followed Ackley's triple in the eighth for a 6-1 advantage, and Ackley added an RBI single in the ninth to account for the final score.
Seattle has won nine of the 14 games against Houston this season ... Seattle was 5-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base ... It was Peacock's third game against the Mariners this season and he is 1-2 in those games.
- SEATTLE: 7
Aug 30 11:25 PM
- Dustin Ackley single to left scored Kendrys Morales with two out. On the play, Justin Smoak advances to second and Michael Saunders advances to third. Bases loaded and Abraham Almonte due up.
Mariners 7, Astros 1 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 30 11:15 PM
- Abraham Almonte single to center scored Dustin Ackley with one out. Runner on first and Henry Blanco due up.
Mariners 6, Astros 1 Top 8, 1 OutAug 30 10:44 PM
- Dustin Ackley single to center scored Kyle Seager and Raul Ibanez with two out. On the play, Justin Smoak advances to second. Runners on first and second and Abraham Almonte due up.
Mariners 5, Astros 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 30 9:53 PM
- Kyle Seager single to right scored Brad Miller with one out. Runner on first and Kendrys Morales due up.
Mariners 3, Astros 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 30 9:39 PM
- Abraham Almonte grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Justin Smoak with two out. On the play, Dustin Ackley out at second. Runner on first and Henry Blanco due up.
Mariners 2, Astros 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 30 9:21 PM
- Dustin Ackley single to right scored Kendrys Morales with one out. On the play, Justin Smoak advances to third. Runners on first and third and Abraham Almonte due up.
Mariners 1, Astros 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 30 9:19 PM
- Robbie Grossman reached first on Justin Smoak's missed catch error scoring Jonathan Villar with two out. Runner on first and L.J. Hoes due up.
Mariners 0, Astros 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 30 9:02 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 30 8:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Mariners SS Ketel Marte leaves game with sprained thumb May 21