Oakland rips Houston to cap series victorySep 9, 2013 - 5:08 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Seth Smith's three-run homer punctuated a seven-run third inning, as Oakland dumped Houston, 7-2, in the finale of a four-game series.
Brandon Moss finished with three hits and drove in two for the Athletics, who took the final three in the set and have won eight of 10 overall. Yoenis Cespedes and Daric Barton added an RBI each in the triumph.
Bartolo Colon (15-6) scattered five hits and one run, fanning seven with only one walk over six innings. The 40-year-old right-hander picked up his first positive decision since July 26 against the Angels, having gone 0-3 with two no-decisions since then.
"Good movement, good location. A lot of good things came out of Bartolo's outing for us today," A's manager Bob Melvin said.
Jose Altuve and Brandon Barnes knocked in a run apiece for the Astros, who stumbled to their 10th loss in 13 and are quickly approaching their third straight 100-loss campaign.
Pressed into service after scheduled starter Paul Clemens was scratched with a blister, Lucas Harrell (6-16) was torched for seven hits and seven runs over three full frames.
"When you pitch out of the bullpen, the one good thing about that is you come to the ballpark every day believing that you're going to pitch," Astros manager Bo Porter said. "I don't think the short notice had anything to do with his performance."
Oakland assumed control with a big third inning. Stephen Vogt and Eric Sogard singled around a Coco Crisp fly out, then Vogt moved to third on Jed Lowrie's fly to right ahead of a two-run double from Moss.
Cespedes followed with a single to score another, then after a walk to Alberto Callaspo, Barton scored Cespedes with a base hit and Smith capped the rally with a three-run blast for a 7-1 game.
Houston's only answer after the burst was Barnes' RBI single in the seventh off Brett Anderson which scored L.J. Hoes.
Anderson retired five in a row from there, then walked pinch-hitter Jake Elmore and Hoes to begin the ninth. He bore down and retired the final three batters of the contest.
Houston picked up a run in the first inning as Jonathan Villar began the game with a single and came home when Altuve followed with a double.
Oakland won the season series 15-4, winning seven of 10 at home ... Anderson picked up the save with his three-inning effort, his third of the season and in his career ... Houston's bullpen of Erik Bedard and Jorge De Leon combined to hold the A's to four hits and two walks over five scoreless innings.
- HOUSTON: 2
Sep 8 6:46 PM
- Brandon Barnes single to left scored L.J. Hoes. On the play, Matt Pagnozzi advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Jonathan Villar due up.
Astros 2, Athletics 7 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 8 6:10 PM
- Seth Smith two-out, three-run Home Run (8) to right scored Alberto Callaspo and Daric Barton. Stephen Vogt due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 8 5:09 PM
- Daric Barton single to center scored Yoenis Cespedes. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Seth Smith due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 8 5:07 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes single to left scored Brandon Moss. On the play, Yoenis Cespedes advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 8 5:02 PM
- Brandon Moss double to left scored Stephen Vogt and Eric Sogard. Runner on second with two outs and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 8 5:00 PM
- Jose Altuve double to center scored Jonathan Villar. Runner on second with none out and Trevor Crowe due up.
Astros 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 8 4:11 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 8 4:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21