Astros rally in ninth to top MarinersSep 10, 2013 - 7:00 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Jonathan Villar ripped a tiebreaking two-run single as part of a four-run ninth inning, helping the Houston Astros rally past the Seattle Mariners for a 6-4 victory on Monday in the opener of three- game set at Safeco Field.
Abraham Almonte laced a two-run homer -- the first of his career -- in the seventh to put the Mariners up 3-2, but the Astros broke through against Seattle closer Danny Farquhar (0-3) in the ninth.
Marc Krauss and Carlos Corporan worked back-to-back one-out walks before Jimmy Paredes followed with a single to right.
"The two walks, that was the difference there," said Seattle manager Eric Wedge.
Jake Elmore, who entered as a pinch-runner for Krauss, scored easily on the play, while Marwin Gonzalez, pinch-running for Corporan, moved to third and Paredes advanced to second on Almonte's throwing error in right.
After fouling off a pair of 2-2 pitches, Villar stroked a base hit up the middle to plate both runners for a 5-3 lead.
Bobby LaFromboise took over on the mound and served up a single to Jose Altuve before Trevor Crowe lifted a fly ball into foul territory down the first-base line.
Justin Smoak caught the popout to retire Crowe and fired to the plate in an attempt to get Villar tagging from third, but his throw hit Crowe, allowing Villar to score for a 6-3 lead.
"We strung together good at-bat after good at-bat. That was really good to see," said Houston manager Bo Porter on his team's ninth inning play.
Josh Fields served up a one-out solo homer to Brad Miller in the ninth, but retired the final two Mariners in order to secure his fourth save of the season and snap Houston's three-game losing streak.
Kevin Chapman (1-1) picked up the win after spinning a scoreless eighth.
Seattle struck first on Kendrys Morales' run-scoring fielder's choice groundout in the first, but the Astros answered with a run in each of the next two frames to seize control.
Paredes plated a run in the second with a sacrifice fly before Altuve opened the third with a double and scored when Crowe followed with a two-bagger of his own to make it 2-1 Houston.
Houston starter Jarred Cosart was charged for an unearned run on two hits and six walks over five frames ... Seattle starter Taijuan Walker struck out eight and allowed two runs on five hits and a walk over five innings ... Houston went 3-for-15 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base.
- HOUSTON: 6
Sep 10 1:34 AM
- Brad Miller one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Abraham Almonte due up.
Astros 6, Mariners 4 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 10 1:29 AM
- Trevor Crowe fouled out to first. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to third and Jonathan Villar scored on Justin Smoak's throwing error. Runner on third with two outs and Brandon Laird due up.
Astros 6, Mariners 3 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 10 1:18 AM
- Jonathan Villar single to center scored Marwin Gonzalez and Jimmy Paredes. Runner on first with one out and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 5, Mariners 3 Top 9, 1 OutSep 10 1:12 AM
- Jimmy Paredes single to right scored Jake Elmore, advances to second on Abraham Almonte's throwing error. On the play, Marwin Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Jonathan Villar due up.
Astros 3, Mariners 3 Top 9, 1 OutSep 10 1:10 AM
- Abraham Almonte one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Brad Miller. Kyle Seager due up.
Astros 2, Mariners 3 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 10 12:24 AM
- Trevor Crowe double to center scored Jose Altuve. Runner on second with none out and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 2, Mariners 1 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 9 11:05 PM
- Jimmy Paredes sacrifice fly to center scored Marc Krauss. None on with two outs and Jonathan Villar due up.
Astros 1, Mariners 1 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 9 10:44 PM
- Kendrys Morales grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short, Kyle Seager out at second. Abraham Almonte scored on Jonathan Villar's throwing error. Runner on first with two outs and Raul Ibanez due up.
Astros 0, Mariners 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 9 10:37 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 9 10:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Mariners SS Ketel Marte leaves game with sprained thumb May 21