Dominguez's grad slam lifts Astros past AngelsSep 14, 2013 - 6:03 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Matt Dominguez laced his second-career grand slam to help guide the Houston Astros to a 9-7 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the first of three from Minute Maid Park.
Jonathan Villar and Trevor Crowe each belted three hits in the victory with Jose Altuve going 2-for-4 with a three-run homer and two runs scored. Houston plated three in the third and six in the fifth to win its fourth straight game.
Dallas Keuchel (6-10) picked up the win despite allowing six runs on 10 hits in 5 2/3 innings, and Josh Fields tossed a perfect ninth for his fifth save.
"I felt really good," Keuchel said. "We got the win and that's all that matters."
Mark Trumbo and Andrew Romine drove in two each in the losing effort as the Angels dropped a game for just the third time in their last nine tilts.
Trumbo started the scoring in the third inning with a two-RBI triple to center, his second of the season.
The Astros responded in the home half when Altuve laced a home run to right, a three-run shot off Jason Vargas (8-7) that scored L.J. Hoes and Brandon Barnes.
"That was just a changeup that was in the middle of the plate," Vargas said of the pitch to Altuve.
Iannetta led off the top of the fourth with a solo shot to left and Romine singled home Kole Calhoun for a 4-3 lead, which lasted until the bottom of the fifth when Houston put up a six-spot to put the game away.
Cody Clark, Barnes and Altuve all singled around Villar's pop bunt out before Crowe plated a pair with a single to center. Vargas then hit Brandon Laird with a pitch before giving way to Cory Rasmus, who served up a grand slam to Dominguez.
The Halos got two back a half inning later. Iannetta doubled and scored on Romine's infield single to the right side and Erick Aybar followed with a double to left-center.
Kevin Chapman walked Collin Cowgill and Romine to begin the eighth and was lifted in favor of Josh Zeid, who was struck with an Aybar line drive but stayed in the game with the bases now loaded. Howie Kendrick popped to short right field for the first out but Mike Trout drew a walk for a 9-7 score. Zeid got out of trouble when Trumbo grounded into a double play.
Trumbo now has 95 RBI, matching his career-best from 2012 ... Trout walked three times, extending his major league leading total to 97 ... Vargas was reached for eight runs on nine hits in 4 1/3 innings ... Clark's single was his first major league hit after beginning his career 0-for-25.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
Sep 13 11:23 PM
- Kole Calhoun struck out swinging to end the game.
Sep 13 11:21 PM
- Mike Trout bases loaded walk scored Collin Cowgill with one out. Bases loaded and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 7, Astros 9 Top 8, 1 OutSep 13 11:03 PM
- Erick Aybar double to center scored Andrew Romine with two out. Runner on second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 6, Astros 9 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 13 10:03 PM
- Andrew Romine infield single to second scored Chris Iannetta with two out. Runner on first and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 5, Astros 9 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 13 10:02 PM
- Matt Dominguez one-out, Grand Slam (20) to left scored Jose Altuve, Trevor Crowe and Brandon Laird. Chris Carter due up.
Angels 4, Astros 9 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 13 9:47 PM
- Trevor Crowe single to center, deflected by short scored Cody Clark and Brandon Barnes with one out. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brandon Laird due up.
Angels 4, Astros 5 Bot 5, 1 OutSep 13 9:42 PM
- Andrew Romine single to left scored Kole Calhoun with two out. On the play, Andrew Romine out at second on the throw. None on and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 4, Astros 3 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 13 9:09 PM
- Chris Iannetta lead-off Home Run (10) to left. Kole Calhoun due up.
Angels 3, Astros 3 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 13 9:05 PM
- Jose Altuve two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left scored L.J. Hoes and Brandon Barnes. Trevor Crowe due up.
Angels 2, Astros 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 13 9:00 PM
- Mark Trumbo triple to center scored Howie Kendrick and Mike Trout with two out. Runner on third and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 2, Astros 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 13 8:48 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 13 8:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21