Cueto pitches Reds past Astros in returnSep 17, 2013 - 5:48 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Johnny Cueto made a successful return while Zack Cozart homered and drove in four runs to lead the Cincinnati Reds past the Houston Astros, 6-1, in the opener of a three-game interleague series.
Cueto (5-2) missed nearly three months with a strained right lat muscle but showed no rust in limiting the Astros to five hits over five scoreless frames.
"I don't have words to describe it. It's something really incredible for me to go that long without pitching, and I came in today and feel really good today," Cueto said through a translator.
Jay Bruce added a two-run single for the Reds, who rebounded from a 2-4 stretch and extended their lead over the Washington Nationals to five games for the NL's second wild card spot.
Erik Bedard (4-11) was saddled with the loss after allowing four runs on four hits over four innings of work in Houston's third straight setback.
"I was throwing a lot of strikes, trying to get ahead and get them out quickly. I started getting tired and gave up some walks," said Bedard.
Cozart launched a Bedard offering just inside the left-field foul pole for a two-run homer in the second frame. Bruce led off the inning with a single.
Two walks and a base hit loaded the bases for Cozart in the fourth, and the shortstop singled to right field to bring in two more runs.
Lucas Harrell relieved Bedard in the fifth and was equally ineffective in the fifth. Again, two walks and a single filled the bags and Bruce hit a dribbler up the middle to drive in Shin-Soo Choo and Brandon Phillips for a 6-0 lead.
Cueto put an exclamation point on his return by striking out Jose Altuve to leave the bases loaded in the fifth.
Alfredo Simon gave up a run behind Cueto, as Trevor Crowe led off the sixth with a double and eventually scored on Matt Dominguez's groundout, but the Astros had just one baserunner over the last three innings to fall short.
Cueto was making his 10th start of the year and first since June 28. He improved to 3-6 in his career against the Astros ... Bedard was back in the rotation after being in the bullpen the previous three weeks ... Harrell allowed just one hit over his final four innings of relief ... Houston went 0- for-5 with a runner in scoring position ... Game time: 2:36.
- CINCINNATI: 6
Sep 16 10:50 PM
- Carlos Corporan grounded out first to pitcher to end the game.
Sep 16 10:48 PM
- Matt Dominguez grounded out second to first scored Trevor Crowe. None on with two outs and Chris Carter due up.
Reds 6, Astros 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 16 10:03 PM
- Jay Bruce single to center scored Shin-Soo Choo and Brandon Phillips. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Reds 6, Astros 0 Top 5, 1 OutSep 16 9:31 PM
- Zack Cozart single, advances to second on the throw home, scored Joey Votto and Jay Bruce. On the play, Ryan Ludwick out at second. Runner on second with two outs and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 4, Astros 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 16 9:13 PM
- Zack Cozart two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Jay Bruce. Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 2, Astros 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 16 8:36 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 8:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21