Hamilton helps Reds outlast AstrosSep 19, 2013 - 5:42 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Billy Hamilton scored the go-ahead run in the 13th inning to cap a memorable first career start in the Cincinnati Reds' 6-5 victory over the Houston Astros.
Hamilton filled nearly his entire box score line with three hits, two walks, two runs scored, an RBI and four steals. The rookie speedster worked a leadoff walk in the 13th, and following walks to Shin-Soo Choo and Joey Votto, trotted home on Jay Bruce's two-run double off the wall in left-center field.
Bruce, a native of Beaumont, TX, batted 7-for-13 with 10 RBI during the three- game sweep following his three-hit, three RBI night.
Alfredo Simon (6-4) worked out of jams in each of his three innings of relief to pick up the win, which moved the Reds a half-game behind the wild-card leading Pirates. Cincinnati hosts Pittsburgh in a three-game series over the weekend.
Aroldis Chapman gave up a run in the 13th on Trevor Crowe's groundout, and needed to retire Chris Carter with two on to close out his 37th save of the season.
Jorge De Leon (0-1) was handed the loss after serving up Bruce's go-ahead hit. Brandon Barnes belted a solo homer and Carlos Corporan drove in two runs for the Astros, who went 3-for-21 with runners in scoring position and stranded 16 baserunners.
The Reds left 15 runners on.
Extra innings were needed after both teams left the bases loaded in the ninth. Opportunities remained aplenty from the 10th through the 12th, when a combined eight runners were left stranded.
The Reds used seven relievers after starter Greg Reynolds was pulled with two outs in the fourth, having given up two runs on four hits. Astros starter Brad Peacock was charged for four runs -- three earned -- on six hits and three walks over 5 2/3 innings.
Choo and Votto, who rank second and first, respectively, in on-base percentage in the NL, each worked walks in the first inning. Choo came around on Bruce's double into the right-field corner, and Votto raced home on Ryan Ludwick's sacrifice fly.
Choo added an RBI single in the second after Hamilton reached with a two-out double -- the rookie's first hit in his fourth career at-bat.
Barnes barely cleared the right-field wall in the third, and the Astros pushed another run across in the fourth on Corporan's bases-loaded sac fly.
Hamilton's third hit, a dribbler off the third-base bag, plated Todd Frazier in the sixth, but the Astros answered with two runs in the bottom half via three consecutive doubles.
L.J. Hoes' pinch-hit double and Corporan's two-bagger that landed on Tal's Hill in center field each drove in a run, the latter tying things at 4-4.
Hamilton became the first Reds player to steal four bases since Felipe Lopez on May 10, 2006 ... With the second of his three doubles, Bruce joined Dave Parker and Frank Robinson as the only Reds players with at least 40 doubles, 30 home runs and 100 RBI in a single season ... Votto walked three times but went 0-for-4 to end his 23-game hitting streak at Minute Maid Park ... The Reds improved to 13-9 in extra-inning games, while the Astros fell to 4-6 in games decided after the ninth ... Game time: 5:18.
- CINCINNATI: 6
Sep 19 1:35 AM
- Chris Carter struck out swinging to end the game.
Sep 19 1:31 AM
- Trevor Crowe ground out third to first scored Jonathan Villar with two out. None on and Marc Krauss due up.
Reds 6, Astros 5 Bot 13, 2 OutsSep 19 1:27 AM
- Jay Bruce double to center scored Billy Hamilton and Shin-Soo Choo with one out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to third. Runners on second and third and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Reds 6, Astros 4 Top 13, 1 OutSep 19 1:12 AM
- Carlos Corporan double to center scored L.J. Hoes. Runner on second with one out and Brandon Barnes due up.
Reds 4, Astros 4 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 18 10:26 PM
- Pinch-Hitter L.J. Hoes double to right scored Chris Carter. Runner on second with one out and Carlos Corporan due up.
Reds 4, Astros 3 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 18 10:25 PM
- Billy Hamilton single to third scored Todd Frazier. Runner on first with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Reds 4, Astros 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 18 10:05 PM
- Carlos Corporan sacrifice fly to right scored Marc Krauss. Runners on first and second with two outs and Brandon Barnes due up.
Reds 3, Astros 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 18 9:33 PM
- Brandon Barnes lead-off Home Run (8) to right. Jonathan Villar due up.
Reds 3, Astros 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 18 9:05 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo single to right scored Billy Hamilton. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 3, Astros 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 18 8:40 PM
- Ryan Ludwick sacrifice fly to center scored Joey Votto. Runner on second with two outs and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 2, Astros 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 18 8:20 PM
- Jay Bruce double to right scored Shin-Soo Choo. On the play, Joey Votto advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Reds 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 18 8:19 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 18 8:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21