Indians edge lowly Astros in rain-shortened affairSep 21, 2013 - 6:21 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Zach McAllister tossed five-plus innings of one-run ball in the Cleveland Indians' 2-1 rain-shortened victory over the Houston Astros in the second installment of a four-game set.
The tilt was delayed for 69 minutes before the umpires called the contest after 6 1/2 innings.
McAllister (9-9) surrendered four hits and two walks while fanning two for the Tribe, who have won seven of their last nine games.
Cleveland moved into the second wild card spot with its victory and the Rangers' loss. It's also just a half-game behind Tampa Bay for the top wild card spot.
Brett Oberholtzer (4-4) allowed a pair of unearned runs on four hits and three walks in a six-inning complete game for Houston, which dropped its seventh straight game.
Brandon Laird's two-out blast into the seats in left field in the second inning staked the Astros to a 1-0 lead, but Cleveland plated a run in the home half and another in the fourth to surge ahead.
Mike Aviles' RBI groundout in the bottom of the second knotted the tilt and the Tribe capitalized on a Houston fielding blunder in the fourth.
Ryan Raburn singled with one out before Asdrubal Cabrera walked to put runners on first and second. Raburn scored when Astros first baseman Chris Carter fielded a Michael Brantley grounder, but threw wildly to second on the force attempt.
Bryan Shaw was credited with his first save of the year after picking up the final four outs of the game.
The Indians were 1-for-7 with runners in scoring position, while the Astros finished 1-for-3 in those situations ... Houston now has 103 losses, which is four shy of matching the club record set last season.
- HOUSTON: 1
Sep 20 10:30 PM
- Michael Brantley grounded into a fielder's choice to score Ryan Raburn with one out. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to second on Chris Carter's throwing error and Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third on Marc Krauss's error. Runners on second and third and Mike Aviles due up.
Astros 1, Indians 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 20 8:18 PM
- Mike Aviles grounded into a fielder's choice to third to score Carlos Santana with two outs. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to second and Asdrubal Cabrera tagged out at third. Runners on first and second and Drew Stubbs due up.
Astros 1, Indians 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 20 7:35 PM
- Brandon Laird two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 1, Indians 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 20 7:21 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 20 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21