Indians rout Astros to finish off sweepSep 23, 2013 - 12:49 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Carlos Santana homered and knocked in two runs, Corey Kluber tossed 5 1/3 solid innings and the Cleveland Indians handled the Houston Astros, 9-2, to complete a four-game sweep.
Michael Brantley, Mike Aviles and Michael Bourn each added two RBI for the Indians, who remained a half-game behind Tampa Bay for the first wild card spot in the AL.
Kluber (10-5) allowed two runs on six hits while striking out six.
Sunday's win sealed Cleveland's sixth four-game sweep of the season. The only other Indians team to accomplish that feat was the 1954 club, which made it to the World Series. They became the first team since the 1961 New York Yankees, went on to win the World Series that season, to sweep six series of four games.
"We're in a fun spot," Cleveland manager Terry Francona said. "We have to keep winning. It's a fun way to come to the ballpark."
Chris Carter hit a solo homer for the Astros, who have lost nine in a row. Erik Bedard (4-12) gave up six runs on eight hits while striking out eight over five-plus innings.
"We're going to fight all the way until the end," Houston manager Bo Porter said. "The number of losses and whether it's consecutive losses, that's not going to prevent this group or us as a staff coming in here every day and putting up our best fight."
Carter's homer in the second gave Houston an early lead, and the Astros tacked on another run in the fourth. Marc Krauss doubled to left-center field, Carter walked and Matt Dominguez singled to load the bases with no outs, and Trevor Crowe grounded into a double play to plate Krauss.
Cleveland responded with three runs in the bottom half. Jason Kipnis led off with a single and raced home on Santana's double to right-center field for the first run. Asdrubal Cabrera later walked with one out, and after Yan Gomes struck out, Brantley and Aviles hit consecutive RBI singles.
The Indians pulled away with a four-run sixth. Cabrera singled and Gomes was hit by a pitch to start the inning, then Brantley hit an RBI single to center. Philip Humber came in from the bullpen and gave up a two-run triple to Bourn, with Nick Swisher's sacrifice fly making it a 7-2 game.
Aviles' RBI single in the seventh and Santana's solo homer in the eighth accounted for the final margin.
The Indians went 6-1 against the Astros this season ... Cleveland, which had 13 hits, is 1 1/2 games ahead of Texas for the second wild card spot after the Rangers lost to Kansas City Sunday ... Kipnis and Brantley each had three hits.
- HOUSTON: 2
Sep 22 4:20 PM
- Carlos Santana two-out, solo Home Run (19) to right. Matt Carson due up.
Astros 2, Indians 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 22 4:11 PM
- Mike Aviles singled to left scoring Matt Carson with two out. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second and Michael Bourn due up.
Astros 2, Indians 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 22 3:49 PM
- Nick Swisher sacrifice fly to center scored Michael Bourn with two out. None on and Jason Kipnis due up.
Astros 2, Indians 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 22 3:17 PM
- Michael Bourn tripled to right scoring Yan Gomes and Michael Brantley with one out. Runner on third and Nick Swisher due up.
Astros 2, Indians 6 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 22 3:16 PM
- Michael Brantley singled to center scoring Asdrubal Cabrera with none out. On the play, Yan Gomes advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Aviles due up.
Astros 2, Indians 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 22 3:11 PM
- Mike Aviles singled to left scoring Asdrubal Cabrera with two out. On the play, Michael Brantley advanced to third. Mike Aviles advanced to second on the throw. Runners on second and third and Michael Bourn due up.
Astros 2, Indians 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 22 2:29 PM
- Michael Brantley singled to center scoring Carlos Santana with two out. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Aviles due up.
Astros 2, Indians 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 22 2:25 PM
- Carlos Santana doubled to center scoring Jason Kipnis with none out. Runner on second and Ryan Raburn due up.
Astros 2, Indians 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 22 2:12 PM
- Trevor Crowe grounded into a double play, second to short to first, scoring Marc Krauss with two out. Matt Dominguez out at second. Chris Carter advances to third. Runner on third and L.J. Hoes due up.
Astros 2, Indians 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 22 2:06 PM
- Chris Carter lead-off Home Run (29) to left. Matt Dominguez due up.
Astros 1, Indians 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 22 1:18 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 1:05 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21