Brewers take game one of day-night doubleheader against CubsJul 30, 2013 - 10:32 PM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Welington Castillo stood at home plate and watched.
With two outs, a man on and a run down, the further the fastball he launched traveled down the left-field line and the more dampened, empty seats it passed over, the louder the remaining Wrigley faithful became, eager to punctuate the afternoon tilt with one last dramatic turn.
But the noise quickly turned to silence. Castillo sliced the long fly ball just foul, and soon after Brewers closer Jim Henderson escaped the threat to pick up his 13th save and finish off a 6-5 win in the opener of a day/night doubleheader.
Jean Segura capped a four-run, come-from-behind seventh inning with a double to help the Brewers overcome the Cubs' five-run fifth and earn their third win in four games.
Yovani Gallardo started for the Brewers and left with two outs in the fifth inning due to a tight left hamstring. He was charged with three runs on six hits and three walks. Rob Wooten (1-0) picked up his first major league win after tossing a scoreless sixth inning.
Castillo had three hits, knocked in a run and scored another for the Cubs, who lost their second straight to start this four-game set.
James Russell (1-3) took the loss after giving up two runs in two-thirds of an inning.
Segura kicked off the scoring in the fourth inning when he blasted a fastball over the left-field fence to give Milwaukee a 1-0 lead and Yuniesky Betancourt doubled the advantage with a home run in the fifth inning.
Anthony Rizzo and Starlin Castro singled in the fifth before Luis Valbuena worked a two-out walk to load the bases. Gallardo worked Darwin Barney to a 1-2 count before coming up lame on the follow-through of a 1-2 pitch that Barney fouled.
John Axford replaced Gallardo but surrendered a base hit to center field, which scored two and tied the game. Castillo, pitcher Carlos Villanueva and David DeJesus followed with three more singles to open up a 5-2 lead.
The Brewers stormed back in the seventh. Jeff Bianchi started the rally with a walk and Betancourt singled to chase Villanueva from the contest. Khris Davis greeted Russell with a three-run blast to right field.
Two batters later, Norichika Aoki singled before stealing second and third base. Segura golfed out a slider inches off the dirt and dropped it into the left-field corner to score Aoki and give Milwaukee a 6-5 lead.
Brandon Kintzler and Michael Gonzalez tossed a scoreless seventh and eighth inning, respectively. Henderson walked Dioner Navarro and, after the long foul ball, Castillo walked. Henderson retired pinch-hitter Cody Ransom on a fly ball to center to end the game.
Prior to the game, the Brewers recalled infielder Scooter Gennett from Triple- A Nashville to serve as the 26th man in the doubleheader ... The Brewers are 38-0 when leading after eight innings this year. They are the only team in baseball without a loss when leading after eight ... Milwaukee was 2-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left five men on base while Chicago went 4-for-13 with runners in scoring position and stranded 13.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
Jul 30 6:08 PM
- Jean Segura doubled to left scoring Norichika Aoki. Runner on second with two outs and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 6, Cubs 5 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 30 5:04 PM
- Khris Davis one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to right scored Jeff Bianchi and Yuniesky Betancourt. Rickie Weeks is due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 5 Top 7, 1 OutJul 30 4:56 PM
- David DeJesus singled to right scoring Welington Castillo. On the play, Carlos Villanueva advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Junior Lake due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 30 4:27 PM
- Carlos Villanueva singled to right scoring Darwin Barney. On the play, Welington Castillo advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and David DeJesus due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 30 4:25 PM
- Welington Castillo singled to left scoring Luis Valbuena. On the play, Darwin Barney advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Carlos Villanueva due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 30 4:22 PM
- Darwin Barney singled to center scoring Anthony Rizzo and Starlin Castro. On the play, Luis Valbuena advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Welington Castillo due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 30 4:18 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt lead-off Home Run (12) to left. Yovani Gallardo is due up.
Brewers 2, Cubs 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 30 3:50 PM
- Jean Segura one-out, solo Home Run (12) to left. Jonathan Lucroy is due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 0 Top 4, 1 OutJul 30 3:27 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 2:23 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21