Masterful effort lifts Tribe past YanksMay 13, 2013 - 7:20 PM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Justin Masterson cooled off the New York Yankees, tossing his second shutout of the season, as the red-hot Cleveland Indians nipped the New York Yankees, 1-0, in the opener of Monday's makeup doubleheader at Progressive Field.
Masterson (6-2) held the Yankees, who were riding a season-high five-game winning streak, to four singles. The Cleveland right-hander walked three and struck out nine.
David Phelps (1-2) was the hard-luck loser for New York, allowing a first- inning homer to Jason Kipnis. Phelps gave up just three more hits over 6 2/3 innings. He fanned seven and walked five.
The Indians are a major league-best 16-5 since April 20.
The twinbill was scheduled after rain halved a four-game series last month.
Kipnis crushed Phelps' 2-2 offering to right-center field after Michael Bourn was thrown out on a close play at second base on an attempted steal. All five of Kipnis' homers this season have been hit in the opening frame.
New York's best chance to get to Masterson came in the second inning. The Yankees loaded the bases with two outs on a pair of infield hits sandwiched around a walk. Alberto Gonzalez, though, went down swinging to end the threat.
The Indians had opportunities to expand their lead, but stranded two men on base in the second, fourth and seventh innings.
Brennan Boesch kept the Yankees' hopes of a comeback alive with a two-out base hit in the ninth, but Masterson struck out Vernon Wells to seal the third shutout of his career.
Masterson, who recorded his sixth career complete game, became the first Indians pitcher to throw two 1-0 shutouts in the same season since Bud Black and Greg Swindell in 1989. Masterson also went the distance in a 1-0 whitewashing of the Chicago White Sox on April 12 ... New York second baseman Robinson Cano finished 0-for-4, snapping a 13-game hitting streak against the Indians ... The Yankees had won five in a row on the road, matching a season high ... New York's Corban Joseph made his major league debut, going 0-for-2 with a walk while playing first base ... The Yankees are playing their first doubleheader in Cleveland since taking both games on July 29, 1990.
- NEW YORK: 0
May 13 2:33 PM
- Jason Kipnis one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right center. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Yankees 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 13 12:19 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 12:08 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21