Rockies surge past Mets in first of doubleheaderApr 17, 2013 - 4:46 AM
Eric Young had three hits and drove in a pair of runs, while Michael Cuddyer, Jonathan Herrera and Wilin Rosario added one RBI apiece for the Rockies, winners in three straight.
Juan Nicasio (2-0) earned the win after giving up all four runs on six hits while fanning five batters over five full frames.
"He gave us a chance," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said of Nicasio. "Even though it wasn't his sharpest game, but he kept us in the game and gave us a shot."
David Wright went 3-for-4 with two home runs and three RBI and Ruben Tejada added an RBI single for the Mets, who had won two straight entering the contest.
Dillon Gee (0-3) was tagged for five runs on seven hits over 4 2/3 innings and absorbed the loss.
"It's not fun," Gee said of dealing with the cold weather. "Every body out there is cold so it's not an excuse."
Monday's game between the two clubs was snowed-out after the Denver area was blanketed with snow. Tuesday's contest was pushed back two hours so the grounds crew could remove snow from the field. The second part of the twinbill is expected to start at 8:40 p.m.
Wright got the Mets on the board with a two-run shot in the first. Daniel Murphy walked before Wright clobbered a 2-1 pitch over the wall in right field.
The Rockies pushed one run across in both the second and third innings to knot things up.
Cuddyer opened the second with a double down the left-field line before scoring on Rosario's base hit to right field. In the third, Gonzalez crushed a solo homer to right field. It was his fourth of the season.
Tejada's base hit to right field scored John Buck to give the Mets a one-run edge. With runners on first and second, Tejada slapped a sharp grounder to the right side. Helton attempted to make a diving stab, but the ball skipped off his glove and into right field, allowing Buck to score easily.
Wright added solo shot to dead center in the fifth make it 4-2.
Colorado, though, scored three runs in the fifth to go up 5-4. Cuddyer drew a two-out, bases loaded walk to score Young. Helton followed with a base hit up the middle to push both Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki across.
Young's base hit scored Chris Nelson in the seventh to give the Rockies a two-run cushion and Colorado added two more in the eighth to account for the final margin.
Jordan Pacheco singled and scored on Young's triple off the wall in center. Herrera followed with a base hit to left to push Young across.
Colorado improved to 4-0 at home this season ... Nelson went 2-for-4 with a double ... Colorado's relievers allowed just two hits over four innings ... Buck went 2-for-4 ... It was the Mets first game since Saturday.
- NEW YORK: 4
Apr 16 8:12 PM
- Jonathan Herrera single to left scored Eric Young. Runner on first with one out and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Mets 4, Rockies 8 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 16 7:57 PM
- Eric Young triple to right scored Jordan Pacheco. Runner on third with one out and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Mets 4, Rockies 7 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 16 7:55 PM
- Eric Young single to right scored Chris Nelson. Runner on first with one out and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Mets 4, Rockies 6 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 16 7:11 PM
- Todd Helton single to center scored Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Wilin Rosario due up.
Mets 4, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 16 6:54 PM
- Michael Cuddyer walk scored Eric Young. Bases loaded with two outs and Todd Helton due up.
Mets 4, Rockies 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 16 6:52 PM
- David Wright one-out, solo Home Run 2 (2) to center. Ike Davis due up.
Mets 4, Rockies 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 16 6:35 PM
- Ruben Tejada single to right scored John Buck. On the play, Lucas Duda advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Dillon Gee due up.
Mets 3, Rockies 2 Top 4, 1 OutApr 16 6:21 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez one-out, solo Home Run (4) to right. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Mets 2, Rockies 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 16 6:07 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to right scored Michael Cuddyer. Runner on first with one out and Chris Nelson due up.
Mets 2, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 16 5:49 PM
- David Wright one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Daniel Murphy. Ike Davis due up.
Mets 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 16 5:17 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 5:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21