Reimold lifts O's over Dodgers in Game 1 of doubleheaderApr 21, 2013 - 1:41 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Nolan Reimold's go-ahead, two-run double in the bottom of the eighth inning lifted the Baltimore Orioles to a 7-5 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the opener of a doubleheader.
Reimold added a solo homer, while J.J. Hardy smacked a two-run shot and Chris Davis tallied three hits and scored three times for the Orioles, who have won three of their last four games.
Darren O'Day (2-0) recorded the last two outs of the eighth to pick up the win, while Jim Johnson fired a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his seventh save of the year.
Andre Ethier belted a three-run homer for Los Angeles, which has dropped five consecutive contests.
Paco Rodriguez (0-1) served up a one-out double to Davis, the lone hitter he faced, before Ronald Belisario came on and walked Hardy and pinch-hitter Nate McLouth to load the bases. Reimold then reached out and slapped a double down the right-field line to plate Davis and Hardy.
"It was a pretty good pitch. If I tried to do anything else with it I would have rolled it over or been out in front," Reimold said. "That's the only place I could have done something with it."
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said Belisario left the ball up to Reimold.
"It looked like a pretty good pitch actually," Mattingly said. "It went down and away from him there and he shoots it down the corner."
The Dodgers jumped out to a 4-0 advantage after plating three runs in the first and another in the second.
Mark Ellis and Matt Kemp had consecutive one-out singles before Adrian Gonzalez flied out. Ethier, who had been hitting just .062 with runners in scoring position entering Saturday, cracked a first-pitch fastball onto the concourse down the right-field line.
Ellis lifted a sacrifice fly to left in the second.
The O's, though, struck back and took the lead after pushing two runs across in the home second, another in the fourth and two more in the sixth.
Davis led off the second with a single before Hardy scalded a first- pitch fastball into the front row seats in left.
Reimold's two-out solo shot in the fourth looked like a replay of Hardy's bomb as the ball again landed into the first couple rows in left.
Matt Wieters singled and Davis doubled to put runners on second and third to begin the sixth. Hardy lifted a sacrifice fly to right to plate Wieters before Davis scored on Steve Pearce's line-drive single to left to make it 5-4.
LA answered with a run in the visitor's seventh to knot the tilt as Ellis, who drew a leadoff walk, came home on a wild pitch following Matt Kemp's bloop single to right-center.
Dodgers starter Hyun-Jin Ryu surrendered five runs on eight hits and two walks over six frames, while Baltimore starter Jason Hammel allowed four runs on seven hits and three walks over six innings ... Baltimore was 2-for-5 with runners in scoring position.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Apr 20 4:01 PM
- Nolan Reimold doubled to right scored Chris Davis and J.J. Hardy. On the play, Nate McLouth advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Alexi Casilla due up.
Dodgers 5, Orioles 7 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 20 3:51 PM
- Pedro Strop wild pitch scored Mark Ellis, Matt Kemp advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Adrian Gonzalez at the plate.
Dodgers 5, Orioles 5 Top 7, 1 OutApr 20 3:05 PM
- Steve Pearce singled to left scored Chris Davis. Runner on first with one out and Nolan Reimold due up.
Dodgers 4, Orioles 5 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 20 2:51 PM
- J.J. Hardy sacrifice fly to right scored Matt Wieters. On the play, Chris Davis advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Steve Pearce due up.
Dodgers 4, Orioles 4 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 20 2:50 PM
- Nolan Reimold two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Alexi Casilla due up.
Dodgers 4, Orioles 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 20 2:16 PM
- J.J. Hardy none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Chris Davis. Steve Pearce due up.
Dodgers 4, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 20 1:43 PM
- Mark Ellis sacrifice fly to left scored Justin Sellers. Runner on second with two outs and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 4, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 20 1:37 PM
- Andre Ethier two-out, three-run Home Run (2) to right scored Mark Ellis and Matt Kemp. Ramon Hernandez due up.
Dodgers 3, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 20 1:14 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 1:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22