Brantly, Marlins down TwinsApr 24, 2013 - 4:25 AM
Oswaldo Arcia hit his first career home run -- a three-run blast -- and Kevin Correia tossed seven solid innings as Minnesota took a 4-3 decision in the first game.
Giancarlo Stanton went 2-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored for the Marlins, who snapped a three-game skid. Chris Valaika and Justin Ruggiano each had an RBI.
Miami starter Ricky Nolasco (1-2) gave up three runs -- two earned -- on six hits over five innings to pick up his first win of the season.
Aaron Hicks, Jamey Carroll and Joe Mauer each drove in a run for the Twins, who had won five straight.
Minnesota starter Mike Pelfrey (2-2) allowed five runs on nine hits over 4 2/3 innings to take the loss. He fell to 1-9 in 18 career starts against the Marlins.
Miami jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning. Placido Polanco singled, Stanton walked and Greg Dobbs singled to load the bases with one out. Ruggiano grounded into a fielder's choice to plate a run. Brantly followed with a two- run double off the wall in right-center field.
The Marlins tacked on another run in the second. Joe Mahoney, Donovan Solano and Chris Coghlan hit three straight singles to load the bases. Stanton grounded into a fielder's choice to plate a run.
Minnesota got three of the runs back in the third. Eduardo Escobar and Hicks singled and Brian Dozier walked to load the bases with one out. Escobar scored on a wild pitch and Mauer followed with an RBI single to right. Arcia then reached first on first baseman Mahoney's fielding error, which allowed Dozier to score.
Brantly's RBI double in the fifth gave the Marlins a 5-3 lead. The Twins got the run back in the sixth on Carroll's RBI single.
Miami scored twice in the seventh to go ahead by three runs. With one out, Dobbs, Ruggiano, Brantly and Valaika hit four straight singles to plate a pair of runs.
Each team scored once in the eighth. Solano led off the top half with a single, moved to second on Polanco's groundout and raced home on Stanton's single to right.
Hicks' sacrifice fly in the bottom half accounted for the final margin.
The Marlins went 7-for-19 with runners in scoring position and stranded nine ... Minnesota went 3-for-14 with RISP and left eight men on ... Escobar went 3-for-3 with two runs scored.
- MIAMI: 8
Apr 23 11:51 PM
- Aaron Hicks sacrifice fly out to right scored Ryan Doumit. Runner on first with two outs and Jamey Carroll due up.
Marlins 8, Twins 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 23 11:26 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton single to right scored Donovan Solano. Runner on first with two outs and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 8, Twins 4 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 23 11:14 PM
- Chris Valaika single to center scored Justin Ruggiano. On the play, Rob Brantly advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Joe Mahoney due up.
Marlins 7, Twins 4 Top 7, 1 OutApr 23 10:54 PM
- Rob Brantly single to right scored Greg Dobbs. On the play, Justin Ruggiano advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Chris Valaika due up.
Marlins 6, Twins 4 Top 7, 1 OutApr 23 10:47 PM
- Jamey Carroll single to right scored Eduardo Escobar. On the play, Aaron Hicks advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brian Dozier due up.
Marlins 5, Twins 4 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 23 10:35 PM
- Rob Brantly double to right scored Giancarlo Stanton. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Valaika due up.
Marlins 5, Twins 3 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 23 9:53 PM
- Oswaldo Arcia reached first on Joe Mahoney's fielding error scored Brian Dozier. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Justin Morneau due up.
Marlins 4, Twins 3 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 23 9:22 PM
- Joe Mauer single to right scored Aaron Hicks. On the play, Brian Dozier advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Oswaldo Arcia due up.
Marlins 4, Twins 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 23 9:19 PM
- Eduardo Escobar scored on a wild pitch. Brian Dozier advances to second on a wild pitch. Aaron Hicks advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third and with one out and Joe Mauer at the plate.
Marlins 4, Twins 1 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 23 9:19 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Joe Mahoney. On the play, Chris Coghlan out at second and Donovan Solano advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 4, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 23 8:44 PM
- Rob Brantly double to center scored Giancarlo Stanton and Justin Ruggiano. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Valaika due up.
Marlins 3, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 23 8:23 PM
- Justin Ruggiano grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Placido Polanco. On the play, Greg Dobbs out at second Giancarlo Stanton advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Rob Brantly due up.
Marlins 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 23 8:22 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 23 8:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22