Yanks blank Indians, earn split of doubleheaderMay 14, 2013 - 2:19 AM Cleveland, OH (Sports Network) - Vidal Nuno tossed five scoreless innings to earn his first major-league win and a six-run seventh frame vaulted the New York Yankees to a 7-0 win over the Cleveland Indians in the finale of a doubleheader.
Nuno (1-0) surrendered three hits and three walks for the Yankees, who have won six of their last seven games.
"He's very poised out there. Nothing seems to bother him. He was ahead of hitters all day," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said of Nuno.
Jayson Nix tallied two hits, two runs scored and an RBI, Vernon Wells drove in two and scored a run, and Lyle Overbay had a two-run double in the seventh in the triumph.
After tallying the first win of his career last week, Adam Warren spun four scoreless innings to notch his first save.
The twinbill was scheduled after rain halved a four-game series last month.
Trevor Bauer (1-2) allowed three runs -- two earned -- on six hits and two walks over 6 1/3 innings for Cleveland, which won the opener of the doubleheader 1-0 after Justin Masterson tossed his second shutout of the season.
"I can be a lot bettter than I was today, and I was a lot better today than I had been this year. My mechanics are solidifying," Bauer said of his outing.
The Yankees began the scoring in the first.
Nix lined a one-out base hit to left in the opening frame and advanced to third when Carlos Santana booted Robinson Cano's hot-shot single to first and committed a throwing error. Nix scattered home on Wells' force out.
Corban Joseph, who made his major league debut in the earlier game, led off the seventh with a double to left center and crossed the plate two batters later when Austin Romine roped a two-bagger down the left field line.
Nick Hagadone replaced Bauer on the mound and walked Brett Gardner. Nix's bloop single into right brought home Romine and after Cano struck out, Wells ripped a base hit to left to plate Gardner. Overbay belted a doubled into the gap in right center to push Nix and Wells across to end Hagadone's day.
Matt Albers came in to pitch and induced a grounder to third off the bat of Ben Francisco, but Mark Reynold's throwing error allowed Overbay to score and make it 7-0.
The Indians were 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base, while New York was 4-for-12 with RISP ... Overbay and Wells both have 22 RBI this year.
- NEW YORK: 7
May 13 6:11 PM
- Ben Francisco reached first on Mark Reynolds's throwing error scoring Lyle Overbay. Runner on first with two outs and Corban Joseph due up.
Yankees 7, Indians 0 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 13 5:30 PM
- Lyle Overbay double to center scored Jayson Nix and Vernon Wells. Runner on second with two outs and Ben Francisco due up.
Yankees 6, Indians 0 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 13 5:25 PM
- Vernon Wells single to left scored Brett Gardner. On the play, Jayson Nix advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Lyle Overbay due up.
Yankees 4, Indians 0 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 13 5:21 PM
- Jayson Nix single to right scored Austin Romine. On the play, Brett Gardner advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 3, Indians 0 Top 7, 1 OutMay 13 5:16 PM
- Austin Romine double to left scored Corban Joseph. Runner on second with one out and Brett Gardner due up.
Yankees 2, Indians 0 Top 7, 1 OutMay 13 5:07 PM
- Vernon Wells grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Jayson Nix. On the play, Robinson Cano out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Lyle Overbay due up.
Yankees 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 13 3:25 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 13 3:15 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21