Plouffe, Twins down AngelsSep 10, 2013 - 5:22 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Trevor Plouffe drove in three runs and the Minnesota Twins defeated the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 6-3 at Target Field in a game that served as a make-up for an April contest that was rained out.
Things were tied 3-3 before the Twins went ahead in the seventh and held on to end their 10-game home losing streak.
Cory Rasmus (0-1) walked Brian Dozier before Oswaldo Arcia reached second on a throwing error by second baseman Grant Green.
"It's his first full year playing second base," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of Green. "He has to use this experience to get better."
Ryan Doumit was intentionally walked to load the bases, and Dozier barely beat out the throw to home from Kole Calhoun on a Plouffe sac fly. Buddy Boshers came into the game and struck out Darin Mastroianni to get the second out, but a walk to Pedro Florimon allowed Arcia to cross the plate.
"We missed a lot of opportunities, but we came up with some big ones at the end," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said.
Josmil Pinto went 3-for-4 with an RBI, while crossing the plate twice and helping the Twins snap a four-game skid.
Casey Fien (4-2) struck out two batters in the seventh to earn the win. Starter Pedro Hernandez only lasted 4 2/3 innings, giving up three runs on eight hits.
Calhoun had three hits and a run driven in for the Angels, who have lost two in a row.
In the third inning, Pinto brought home Florimon, who singled on a bunt, after he smacked a double off the wall in left center that a leaping Mike Trout could not grab.
The Angels went ahead in the fourth. Mark Trumbo and Chris Iannetta both singled before Calhoun plated Trumbo on a double to right. A Green groundout allowed Iannetta to cross home.
Hernandez walked Trout with one out in the fifth. He advanced to third on a Trumbo single, and crossed the plate when Josh Hamilton stroked a double past Chris Colabello at first down the right field line. Ryan Pressly replaced Hernandez with runners on second and third and struck out Iannetta to end the inning.
The Twins quickly evened the score in the home half. Jered Weaver walked Pinto and allowed Doumit to reach second on a line drive down the right field line. Plouffe brought the runners around after he singled up the middle.
Hamilton led off the eighth with a ground-rule double, but Ianetta popped up in foul territory, while Calhoun and Green both struck out to waste another opportunity.
Minnesota added an insurance run in the eighth when Pinto led off with a double and was brought around after Doumit singled.
Glen Perkins came in the ninth and allowed a two-out Erick Aybar double before striking out Trout to earn his 33rd save of the season.
Weaver tossed six innings and allowed three runs on nine hits with five strikeouts ... The Twins lead the series 5-1 ... The Angels went 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Sep 9 10:31 PM
- Ryan Doumit single to right scored Josmil Pinto with two out. On the play, Ryan Doumit advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Angels 3, Twins 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 9 10:17 PM
- Pedro Florimon walked Oswaldo Arcia scored on the play. Bases loaded with two out and Alex Presley due up.
Angels 3, Twins 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 9 9:48 PM
- Trevor Plouffe sacrifice fly to right scored Brian Dozier with one out. Runners on first and second and Chris Colabello due up.
Angels 3, Twins 4 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 9 9:38 PM
- Trevor Plouffe single to center scored Josmil Pinto and Ryan Doumit with two out. On the play, Trevor Plouffe advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Chris Colabello due up.
Angels 3, Twins 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 9 8:59 PM
- Josh Hamilton double to right scored Mike Trout with two out. On the play, Mark Trumbo advances to third. Runners on second and third and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 3, Twins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 9 8:43 PM
- Grant Green grounded out third to first scored Chris Iannetta with two out. Runner on second and Tommy Field due up.
Angels 2, Twins 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 9 8:16 PM
- Kole Calhoun double to right scored Mark Trumbo with one out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to third. Runners on second and third and Grant Green due up.
Angels 1, Twins 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 9 8:14 PM
- Josmil Pinto double to left scored Pedro Florimon with one out. Runner on second and Brian Dozier due up.
Angels 0, Twins 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 9 7:59 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 9 7:11 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22