Cano, Stewart lead Yanks over Jays in doubleheader openerAug 21, 2013 - 1:09 AM Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - Robinson Cano went 4-for-4 with a home run and four RBI to lead the New York Yankees over the Toronto Blue Jays, 8-4, in the opener of a day-night doubleheader at Yankee Stadium.
Cano finished a triple shy of the cycle for the Yankees, who have won two straight and seven of nine overall. Chris Stewart added a go-ahead three-run homer in the sixth inning for New York.
Ichiro Suzuki finished 2-for-5 to move within one hit of 4,000 as a professional, while New York starter Ivan Nova (7-4) overcame a sluggish start to earn the win.
The right-hander allowed four runs on nine hits, striking out two and walking a pair, over 6 1/3 innings. He improved to 3-0 over his last five starts and hasn't lost since July 27.
Rajai Davis drove in a pair of runs for Toronto, losers of two straight and eight of 12. Maicer Izturis added two hits for the Blue Jays, who have dropped seven straight and nine of 10 to the Bombers this season.
Trailing 4-3, New York went ahead in the sixth thanks to Stewart's three-run blast off reliever Neil Wagner (2-4). Alex Rodriguez, who chased Toronto starter Esmil Rogers after a leadoff single, and Jayson Nix, who worked a two- out walk off Wagner, scored ahead of Stewart.
"He hit a homer and they got an opportunity to win the game, and they got it," Rogers said.
Toronto loaded the bases with two outs in the seventh, but Brett Lawrie flew out to center to end the threat.
Cano, who hit a three-run homer in the third to draw the Yanks within 4-3, added an RBI double in the home half of the seventh. Brett Gardner's eighth- inning sac fly plated the Yankees' final run.
"He's been swinging the bat really well," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi of Cano. "He had a big day."
Suzuki had the chance to reach 4,000 hits in the eighth, but he grounded out to first to end the inning.
Rogers received a no-decision after being charged with four runs on seven hits, striking out four and walking two, in five-plus innings.
Wagner allowed two runs on one hit in two-thirds of an inning.
The Jays started the scoring in the second with a four-run frame. Izturis singled home Adam Lind with the first run, and after a Kevin Pillar groundout plated the second run, Davis singled home a pair of runners to cap the inning's scoring.
Lawrie ended 0-for-3 to see his eight-game hit streak come to an end.
Cano's homer was his 23rd of the season and 200th of his career ... MLB announced Tuesday that Girardi was fined an undisclosed amount for his argument with home plate umpire Brian O'Nora during Sunday's game against Boston. Girardi was arguing that Boston starter Ryan Dempster intentionally was throwing at Rodriguez. Dempster received a five-game suspension and an undisclosed fine for hitting Rodriguez with a pitch ... Toronto slugger Jose Bautista left the game in the fourth inning due to a sore left hip ... Pillar went 0-for 4 and is in an 0-for-17 slump since being recalled from the minors ... Suzuki now has 2,721 hits in the majors ... Nix stole his 13th base of the season ... Stewart's homer was his fourth of the year.
- TORONTO: 4
NEW YORK: 8
Aug 20 4:27 PM
- Brett Gardner sacrifice fly out to left scored Jayson Nix. None on with two outs and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Blue Jays 4, Yankees 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 20 4:11 PM
- Robinson Cano doubled to center scored Ichiro Suzuki. Runner on second with none out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Blue Jays 4, Yankees 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 20 3:48 PM
- Chris Stewart two-out, three-run Home Run (4) to left scored Alex Rodriguez and Jayson Nix. Brett Gardner due up.
Blue Jays 4, Yankees 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 20 3:14 PM
- Robinson Cano one-out, three-run Home Run (23) to center scored Brett Gardner and Ichiro Suzuki. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Blue Jays 4, Yankees 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 20 2:16 PM
- Rajai Davis doubled to center scored Maicer Izturis and Jose Reyes. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Bautista due up.
Blue Jays 4, Yankees 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 20 1:43 PM
- Kevin Pillar grounded out short to first scored Brett Lawrie. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Reyes due up.
Blue Jays 2, Yankees 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 20 1:41 PM
- Maicer Izturis singled to center scored Adam Lind. On the play, Brett Lawrie advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Josh Thole due up.
Blue Jays 1, Yankees 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 20 1:34 PM
- TORONTO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 1:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21