Royals demolish Rays in rescheduled contestAug 27, 2013 - 3:05 AM Kansas City, MO (Sports Network) - Billy Butler finished 3-for-3 with a solo homer, three RBI and three runs scored, as the Kansas City Royals routed the Tampa Bay Rays, 11-1, in a makeup game at Kauffman Stadium.
The contest was originally supposed to be played on May 2, but a snow storm in Kansas City forced the game to be rescheduled for Monday.
Salvador Perez clubbed a three-run homer and registered four RBI, while Mike Moustakas added two hits, two RBI and a run scored for the Royals, who have won back-to-back games on the heels of a seven-game slide.
"We were bound to score some runs after having a tough stretch," Butler said. "Everybody wants to make something out of it, but it's just part of the season. The guys in here never panicked and won't continue. Nothing comes as a surprise for us."
The offensive outburst provided more than enough run support for starter Jeremy Guthrie (13-10), who gave up one run on six hits and three walks while striking out five over five frames.
Matt Joyce collected three of Tampa Bay's seven hits and scored the team's only run, as the Rays dropped their second straight game to fall 1 1/2 games back of idle Boston atop the AL East.
"We hit the ball hard all day long and they were able to make some plays, run some balls down," Rays outfielder David DeJesus said. "They were getting those little dinky hits, but those dinky hits were adding up and then a big hit. Those add-on runs were huge for them."
Jeremy Hellickson (10-8) had a forgettable outing, yielding five runs on seven hits and two walks in just 2 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
Butler put the Royals on the board with an RBI single in the first, then added another run-scoring base hit in the third to make it 2-0. Moustakas followed with an RBI double down the right-field line before Perez lifted a sacrifice fly to left to score Butler for a 4-0 lead.
Justin Maxwell capped Kansas City's four-run third with a run-scoring single to right to push the margin to 5-0.
Joyce led off the fourth with a double and scored two batters later on a James Loney single, but the Royals tacked on five more runs in the sixth to put the game out of reach.
Jarrod Dyson started the rally with a single, stole second, and scored easily on Alex Gordon's triple to right. Rays reliever Cesar Ramos retired the next two batters before intentionally walking Butler to get to Moustakas, who smacked a single to center to score Gordon.
Two pitches later, Perez pummeled a fastball into the bullpen in left field to make it 10-1.
Butler belted a two-out blast in the eighth to account for the final margin.
Kansas City took six of the seven meetings with Tampa Bay this season, outscoring them 53-22 ... Hellickson fell to 0-5 over his last six starts ... Tampa Bay went 1-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base.
- TAMPA BAY: 1
KANSAS CITY: 11
Aug 26 5:23 PM
- Billy Butler two-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Jamey Carroll due up.
Rays 1, Royals 11 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 26 5:13 PM
- Salvador Perez two-out, three-run Home Run (7) to left scored Billy Butler and Jamey Carroll. Justin Maxwell due up.
Rays 1, Royals 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 26 4:41 PM
- Mike Moustakas single to center scored Alex Gordon with two outs . On the play, Billy Butler advances to second. Runners on first and second and Salvador Perez due up.
Rays 1, Royals 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 26 4:39 PM
- Alex Gordon triple to right scored Jarrod Dyson with none out . Runner on third and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Rays 1, Royals 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 26 4:33 PM
- James Loney single to left scored Matt Joyce with one out. Runner on first and Jose Lobaton due up.
Rays 1, Royals 5 Top 4, 1 OutAug 26 3:40 PM
- Justin Maxwell single to right scored Mike Moustakas with one out. Runner on first and Alcides Escobar due up.
Rays 0, Royals 5 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 26 3:24 PM
- Salvador Perez sacrifice fly out to left scored Billy Butler with one out. Runner on second and Justin Maxwell due up.
Rays 0, Royals 4 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 26 3:22 PM
- Mike Moustakas double to right scored Eric Hosmer with none out. On the play, Billy Butler advances to third. Runners on second and third and Salvador Perez due up.
Rays 0, Royals 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 26 3:21 PM
- Billy Butler single to right scored Emilio Bonifacio with none out. On the play, Eric Hosmer advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mike Moustakas due up.
Rays 0, Royals 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 26 3:18 PM
- Billy Butler single to left scored Alex Gordon with one out. On the play, Emilio Bonifacio advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Moustakas due up.
Rays 0, Royals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 26 2:33 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 2:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21