Bochy gets 1,500th win as Giants win nightcap of DHJul 24, 2013 - 6:32 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Pablo Sandoval hit a two-run double to help the San Francisco Giants take a 5-3 win to a split of a classic doubleheader with the Cincinnati Reds on Tuesday.
Gregor Blanco, Hunter Pence and Brandon Belt each drove in a run for the Giants, who dropped the opener of this set by a score of 9-3 and snapped a three-game losing streak.
Barry Zito didn't make it out of the fifth inning as he was touched for three runs on six hits with three walks and four strikeouts over 4 2/3 frames. Santiago Casilla (4-2) pitched 1 1/3 frames to pick up the win.
The win gave San Francisco manager Bruce Bochy 1,500 victories in his managerial career.
"I don't know what that number means except that I'm fortunate to be doing this as long as I have," said Bochy. "I wish we were in a better situation right now, but I think you're blessed if you're playing it. Again, I'm not sure what it means, but to be mentioned with some of these managers, I'm humbled."
Corky Miller drove in a pair of runs while Todd Frazier went 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored for the Reds, who had won five of six coming into the night game.
Greg Reynolds (0-1) was charged with five runs on eight hits over five innings in his season debut.
Due to a July 4 game in Cincinnati being rained out, the contest was rescheduled for Tuesday and Cincinnati dressed in its home uniforms and batted in the bottom of the innings for Game 2. However, it is still considered a road game for the team, and a home game for the Giants.
In their away uniforms and starting the top of the first at-bat, the Giants gave the crowd something to cheer about with a three-run opening.
Tony Abreu hit a one-out single and Buster Posey was hit by a pitch. Sandoval then doubled home both runners and Pence followed with a single for a 3-0 lead.
In the second, the Giants made it a 4-0 game on Blanco's sac fly that plated Brandon Crawford, who led off with a double and took third on Zito's sac bunt.
The Reds answered in the bottom of the inning on a two-run double from Miller.
In the fifth, Belt chased home Abreu on a groundout to give San Francisco a 5-2 lead.
Cincinnati kept it a two-run game in its turn at the plate in the fifth as Jay Bruce singled with two outs and came home thanks to a double to center from Frazier.
The Reds left men on second over the next three innings, and again got a man to second base in the ninth off of Sergio Romo, but he struck out Devin Mesoraco to pick up his 24th save of the season.
"One or two would have been nice. We had base-runners on almost every inning and had runners on second base a number of times. Their pitchers shut us down," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
Cincinnati was 1-for-14 with runners in scoring position and stranded 14 men on base ... It was San Fran's first win in six games against Cincinnati this season ... Bochy is the 21st manager in baseball history to reach 1,500 wins.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Jul 24 1:58 AM
- Todd Frazier doubled to center scored Jay Bruce. On the play, Frazier advances to third on the throw home. Runner on third with two outs and Jack Hannahan due up.
Giants 5, Reds 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 24 12:25 AM
- Brandon Belt grounded out second to first scored Tony Abreu. On the play, Hunter Pence advances to second and Pablo Sandoval advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Jeff Francoeur due up.
Giants 5, Reds 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 24 12:17 AM
- Corky Miller doubled to right scored Jay Bruce and Todd Frazier. Runner on second with one out and Greg Reynolds due up.
Giants 4, Reds 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 23 11:20 PM
- Gregor Blanco sacrifice fly to right scored Brandon Crawford. None on with two outs and Tony Abreu due up.
Giants 4, Reds 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 23 11:06 PM
- Hunter Pence singled to center scored Pablo Sandoval. Runner on first with one out and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 3, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 23 10:46 PM
- Pablo Sandoval doubled to left center scored Tony Abreu and Buster Posey. Runner on second with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 23 10:42 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 10:36 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21