Behind Matsuzaka, Mets split DH with MarlinsSep 15, 2013 - 6:14 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Daniel Murphy and Lucas Duda hit back-to-back homers in the third inning, Daisuke Matsuzaka tossed seven solid innings and the New York Mets held off the Miami Marlins, 3-1, to split Saturday's doubleheader.
In the first game, Henderson Alvarez pitched seven scoreless innings and the Marlins shut out the Mets, 3-0.
Wilmer Flores added an RBI for the Mets while Matsuzaka (1-3) allowed one run on two hits to pick up his first win since Aug. 27, 2012.
"He's pitching ahead and making them hit his pitch," Mets manager Terry Collins said of Matsuzaka.
Justin Ruggiano hit a solo homer for the Marlins, who saw starter Jacob Turner (3-7) give up three runs on five hits over five innings.
"I'm going to take the positives and keep working," said Turner.
The Mets jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Murphy hit a two-out single to right-center field, stole second and raced home on Flores' single to left.
Murphy and Duda homered in the third to make it a 3-0 game.
Miami's first hit of the contest came with one out in the fourth, when Ruggiano cleared the left-field wall.
The Marlins left men on first and third in the seventh. Placido Polanco was hit by a pitch for the second time in the game and Adeiny Hechavarria hit a two-out single. Rob Brantly, though, struck out looking to end the inning.
Pedro Feliciano and Vic Black combined to pitch a scoreless eighth. LaTroy Hawkins worked around a leadoff single in the ninth to record his 10th save of the season.
The Marlins lead the season series 11-7 ... Miami went 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position and stranded six, while New York went 1-for-6 with RISP and left seven men on.
- MIAMI: 1
NEW YORK: 3
Sep 14 10:46 PM
- Adeiny Hechavarria grounded out second to first to end the game.
Sep 14 10:30 PM
- Justin Ruggiano one-out, solo Home Run (17) to left. Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 1, Mets 3 Top 4, 1 OutSep 14 8:49 PM
- Lucas Duda lead-off Home Run (14) to right. Wilmer Flores due up.
Marlins 0, Mets 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 14 8:36 PM
- Daniel Murphy lead-off Home Run (11) to right. Lucas Duda due up.
Marlins 0, Mets 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 14 8:33 PM
- Wilmer Flores singled to left scoring Daniel Murphy. On the play, Lucas Duda advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Matt den Dekker due up.
Marlins 0, Mets 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 14 7:59 PM
- MIAMI: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 14 7:47 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21