Nationals sneak past Marlins to split DHSep 23, 2013 - 5:16 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Wilson Ramos' ninth-inning grounder bounced off the leg of third baseman Chris Coghlan, allowing pinch-runner Eury Perez to score from third and give the Washington Nationals a 5-4 win over the Miami Marlins to split a doubleheader.
The Nationals are five games behind the Cincinnati Reds and Pittsburgh Pirates for the NL's two wild-card spots with six games to play.
"We aren't finished. I take nothing for granted," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said.
Jayson Werth doubled to start the ninth against Sam Dyson (0-2). Perez came on for Werth and stole third before scoring the game's deciding run.
Denard Span tallied a pair of hits, three RBI and a run scored for Washington. Rafael Soriano (3-3) fired a scoreless top of the ninth to notch the win.
Giancarlo Stanton registered two hits, an RBI and a run scored for the Marlins, who have dropped seven of their last nine tilts.
"We came out and I thought we gave it everything we had. We go home with a split," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said.
The Marlins plated a run in each of the first two frames to jump out to a 2-0 lead before the Nationals responded by pushing across a pair in the third to tie it.
Donovan Solano doubled to start the game and later scored on a Christian Yelich groundout in the first, while Justin Ruggiano's leadoff homer in the second made it 2-0.
RBI singles by Span and Ryan Zimmerman knotted the tilt in the second.
Adeiny Hechavarria's two-out RBI single in the fourth gave the Fish the lead, but Span's two-run single in the sixth gave Washington a 4-3 edge.
Back-to-back one-out doubles by Yelich and Stanton in the eighth against Tyler Clippard tied the game at 4-4.
Nationals starter Stephen Strasburg struck out six, but allowed three runs on six hits and two walks over six frames ... The Nationals were 4-for-15 with runners in scoring position.
- MIAMI: 4
Sep 22 10:36 PM
- Wilson Ramos reached on Chris Coghlan's fielding error scoring Eury Perez to end the game.
Marlins 4, Nationals 5 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 22 10:31 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton double to left scored Christian Yelich. Runner on second with one out and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Marlins 4, Nationals 4 Top 8, 1 OutSep 22 9:58 PM
- Denard Span single to right scored Jeff Kobernus and Steve Lombardozzi. Runner on first with one out and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Marlins 3, Nationals 4 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 22 9:14 PM
- Adeiny Hechavarria single to center scored Giancarlo Stanton. On the play, Chris Coghlan advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Koyie Hill due up.
Marlins 3, Nationals 2 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 22 8:07 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman single to center scored Denard Span. Runner on first with one out and Jayson Werth due up.
Marlins 2, Nationals 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 22 7:52 PM
- Denard Span single to center scored Anthony Rendon. Runner on first with one out and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Marlins 2, Nationals 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 22 7:49 PM
- Justin Ruggiano lead-off Home Run (18) to left center. Chris Coghlan due up.
Marlins 2, Nationals 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 22 7:25 PM
- Christian Yelich ground out to first scored Donovan Solano with two out. None on and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 1, Nationals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 22 7:14 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 7:08 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21